VMware Cloud Community
jfranklin4
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Essentials plus

We just purchased VMware essentials plus license, and before we purchased the essentials kit, I downloaded VMware 5.5 standard and installed it on my hosts.  Can I uses my Essentials Plus license on my standard hypervisor or do I need to reinstall Essentials Plus on both host.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The binaries are the same for all editions, i.e. you can assign the Essentials Plus license directly to a host. Just make sure you have the matching version. If the purchased licenses are for version 6, you can downgrade some or all the keys to version 5 in your My VMware portal.

André

0 Kudos
jfranklin4
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  In order to manage both hosts, will I need to do a simple install, install SSO, dup collector, ect, and will I need a dc to install vcenter on?

0 Kudos
jfranklin4
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a KB or information on how to set the essentials plus up.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you want to run both hosts in a cluster and manage them from a central location, you need vCenter Server (license included in the Kit). The easiest way is to deploy vCenter Server as a virtual appliance on one of the ESXi hosts. For how to install vCenter Servertake a look at e.g. VMware KB: Installing vCenter Server 5.5 best practices which also contains links to the documentation.

André

0 Kudos
jfranklin4
Contributor
Contributor

Thank so much

0 Kudos