VMware Cloud Community
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMs on the same networking not communicating while being on another host and networke best practice

Hey all,
I have a virtual environment running vCenter and a few ESXi hosts all running on version 7.0.3u3, also on that environment I'm using vDS as well. Under that vDS I have a few port groups with different VLAN IDs for each group.

The main problem is that when a VM on port group X is on one host and another VM is on the same port group X but on another host the VMs can't communicate.
A bit more about the network of this environment. Each host has 2 10G and 2 1G ports, I'm currently using one 10G for storage(iSCSI) and one 10G for Managment + vMotion(needs to be separated if I'm not mistaken).

First thing I've checked was which physical port is assigned to this vDS on each host, found out vmnic2 was chosen but nothing was physically connected. I've connected a cable from 2 of the hosts to one of my switches for a test but I think I'm still missing something in the configuration.

DoiI need to create a VMKernel for that uplink? Can I assign all of my port groups to this port to communicate between the hosts?
Also, since i want to allow a lot of VLANs do those connection from the physical port to the switch need to be set up as a trunk?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Which Guest OS of VMs, do they have VMware Tools and third what network adapter is there? 

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 19.28.00.png

This is very basic

0 Kudos