VMware Cloud Community
panwjeffh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs Show Multiple Networks After Migration to Distributed Switches

Hello,

I migrated from traditional virtual switches to virtual distributed switches.

Instead of using the migration wizard, I left the virtual switches in place and manually reconfigured each VM to use the new virtual distributed port group.

This worked very nicely for most of the VMs, but I now I have several VMs that show they're bound to both the traditional port group and the virtual distributed port group.

Just a quick example...on the traditional virtual switch, I had a port group called 'vlan2'. On the new vDS, I have a vDPG called 'vDPG-vlan0002'. I edited the properties of several VMs, then changed the network interface from 'vlan2' to 'vDPG-vlan0002' and saved changes.

After clicking save, several VMs show they are on both:

vlan2

vDPG-vlan0002

Even if they only have a single network interface. (See attached screenshot for an example)

I downloaded the VMX file to examine the contents and don't see any references to 'vlan2' - only to 'vDPG-vlan0002'. I tried removing the VMs from inventory and adding them back. I've even removed the network interface from the VM altogether, saved the changes, then added a new network interface with the desired vDPG and I get the same result.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AhmedIbrahimVMw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, this might happen if the VM has a snapshot while it was connected to the standard port group. Can you check this?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AhmedIbrahimVMw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, this might happen if the VM has a snapshot while it was connected to the standard port group. Can you check this?

0 Kudos
panwjeffh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's EXACTLY what happened!

I removed the snapshots associated with the VMs (they were no longer needed) and the original port groups are no longer visible.

Thanks so much!!!

-JeffH

0 Kudos