VMware Cloud Community
Jjv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare vCenter Installation on Windows 7 (WorkGroup)

Hello Guys

We have recently purchased the following products from VMware:

vCenter Server 5 Essentials

vSphere 5 Essentials

I have successfully installed vSphere 5 on Essentials on 3 different hosts machines. We are on a workgroup environment. I am now trying to install the vCenter Server Essentials on a Windows 7 64bit Pro PC. Somehow my vCenter server installations were not successfully completed and am still trying to get it installed.

Is there a simple procedure/instructions that I can use to setup vCenter 5 on a Win 7 64 Pro PC on workgroup to manage the VMware hosts that we have in the same network.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

JJv

7 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jjv,

vCenter cannot be installed on windows 7.

These operating systems are supported:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter SP2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter R2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter SP2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter R2 SP1 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter R2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter SP1 64bit

To know the complete requirements for vCenter installation refer this guide VMware KB: Minimum system requirements for installing vCenter Server

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

Jjv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Abhilash for the update on vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
Jjv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Abhilash

After your reply, I setup a Windows Server 2012 Std edition server and tried to install the vCenter Server 5.1. However, I am stuck with the installation halfway through. Attached is the screenshot of the area where I am getting stuck and can't proceed further and finally need to abort the installation.

I have been eagerly waitvCenterInstallationError.jpging the vCenter Server installation for a while and so far not successful. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

JJv

0 Kudos
Jjv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

Could someone please provide some assistance on the vCenter 5.1 installation on a Windows Server 2012 std on a workgroup environment?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Installing vSphere vCenter 5.1 on Windows 2012

I have tested to install the new VMware ESXi 5.1 in a VM on my Macbook pro, next step was to get the vCenter 5.1 working on Windows 2012.

I downloaded the evaluation ISO from technet and when using the Easy Install I got an error trying to install the OS on the VM, as you can see on the screendump I get a licensing error, my first thought was that it was an error with my iso download and I then downloaded it again but the error persisted.

When I try to set up a new VM without the Easy Install I get the license agreement without error and could deploy the VM without any errors. Did I say that I am using the latest fusion 5.0.1

So to continue with the install, when the OS is upp and running I also need to download/install .net 3.5 (this is not by default available in win 2012 so I need the Media or an Internet connection). This as the .Net 3.5 is a requirement when installing vCenter.

Then I run the simple install from the media that will install the vCenter server, Single sign-on and Inventory service together.

When the installation is finished everything seems to be installed but the vCenter service will not start. It complained about a service that it depended on that was not existing.

I investigated a bit and the Protected Storage Service was deprecated in windows 2008 and only in read-mode and I could not find it for Windows 2012. So I wanted to remove the dependent services.

So how to do this, I type sc config vpxd depend= “” to remove all dependencies and then I typed sc start vpxd and the service took a bit to start but eventually it got to a running state.

Then I installed the vSphere Client and tried to log in and when the client opened I added the vSphere host without any issues.

Now when I got this running I will continue to install PowerCLI 5.1 and test it with PowerShell 3.0

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

what is the output you get when you type the lookupservice URL in the browser?

Regards
Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
lpisanec
Contributor
Contributor

It might not be what you wanted, but you could try the vCenter Server Virtual Appliance (vCSA) instead.

vCSA does not require a windows server, it is a linux based virtual machine and works after a little bit of configuration.

see http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200761...

0 Kudos