VMware Cloud Community
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWARE TOOLS UPGRADE/INSTALLATION FAILED - V6.7

After upgrading vmware vCenter and Esxi to 6.7 from 6.5 , I'm not able to upgrade/install the vmware tools to some of my servers. It giving error when installing drivers. Server OS is Windows 2012 server R2. As in error if we skip it will stop in another driver and rolls back.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Tools installation is failing with 'Access is denied' error with the error code being 0x80070005. This error code makes us incline towards a permission issue or some Antivirus/Anti-Malware software not allowing the installation -

2018-07-25T16:45:02.249+03:00| tools-build-8931395| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install vmxnet3 driver| winerror code 5 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:45:02.249+03:00| tools-build-8931395| I0: MessageBox( 1407d4, "Setup failed to install the VMXNet3 driver automatically.  This driver will have to be installed manually.", "VMware Tools Installation", 48)

2018-07-25T16:51:16.217+03:00| tools-build-8919955| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install inf C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device\Win8\vmci.inf| HRESULT code 0x80070005 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:51:16.217+03:00| tools-build-8919955| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install vmci driver| winerror code 5 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:51:16.217+03:00| tools-build-8919955| I0: MessageBox( 201a2, "Setup failed to install the VMCI Virtual Machine Communication Interface driver automatically.  This driver will have to be installed manually.", "VMware Tools Installation", 48)

2018-07-25T16:52:12.965+03:00| tools-build-8931395| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install inf C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\pvscsi\Win8\pvscsi.inf| HRESULT code 0x80070005 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:52:12.965+03:00| tools-build-8931395| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install pvscsi driver| winerror code 5 (Access is denied.)

Try the below steps -

1) Login with the Windows local administrator account.

2) Disable (uninstalling temporarily would be the best option) any Antivirus/Anti-Malware software.

3) Download new VM tools package from the net (not from the vSphere ISO image mounted on the VM) and place it under C:\ root.

4) Right click on the package folder --> Security --> Ensure the administrator account has full control previlige and it is inherited to the sub-folders and files.

5) Attempt the installation (either individually or as a package).

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

22 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

1. Take a snapshot on the VM, Remove VMware Tools from the Windows virtual machine.In the Remote Console of the virtual machine, choose VM >Install/Upgrade VMware Tools to re-install VMware Tools.
    1. From the Start menu, choose Settings > Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.
    2. Choose VMware Tools and click Uninstall or Remove.
    3. Make sure the folders related to the VMware tools are deleted.
  2. In the Remote Console of the virtual machine, choose VM >Install/Upgrade VMware Tools to re-install VMware Tools.
  3. Reboot the virtual machine.
Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tried removing old vmware tools and try to reinstall. But failed. Same issue. Even right now there  is no vmware tools left over in the server. but it fail.

0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have two windows 2012 R2 servers which can't install vmware tools yet. tried all  the suggested methods including manually installing drivers, extracting from another server and installing, extracting vmware tools to local and run,all the methods getting failed.

one server stops with vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter driver and rolling back. tried to manually show the driver by browsing. But it says access denied in driver installation screen.

Is there anybody suggest me something different??

Due to vmware tools missing some backup schedules are getting fail,quesec fail time to time and snapp shots not removing automatically.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just to ask, when you tried to install VMware Tools again, did you use the 'run as administrator' from the right click? Also, how up to date is the OS on the VMs in question? I don't recall if there are updates that (if present) could cause this.

IMO, if these are production VMs, and none of your attempts have resolved the issue pretty soon, I'd open a support incident to get it resolved before the next backup is scheduled to run.

0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried both elevated command prompt and run as administrator methods with even current vmware tools version downloaded from vmware today.

All my servers are up to date with WSUS server.

Yes these are production servers with vmware essential license. So there's no support.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Actually, you CAN get support, you just have to pay per incident if you have the base essentials kit ($299 per case).

Not sure why people are surprised when there's no included support in a product they spend <$500 on to get. Especially when the next step up is over $5k.

Fortunately, every environment I've worked on has had Enterprise Plus for it's license. Yes, it costs more, but it includes a lot of features, and the SnS costs are actually worth it. Especially if you have some issues that are not easy to figure out (the first time) and/or you can't wait for someone in the community to remember how to fix the issue you're facing. IMO, it's rather important to have a production environment covered by SnS.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are you using the console window to do the installs or connecting via RDP to do the install?? Have you tried using the local Administrator account (on the VM) to do the install?

0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tried vmware console and rdp using local admin account. but same result. Tried to skip vmxnet 3 and continue. But it's stop in next driver and rollback.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try is update the VMtools to 10.2.5:

Download VMware vSphere

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are you using 'Typical' installation or 'Complete' installation? If you are using Complete, can you try 'Typical' installation so that it tries to install only those drivers for which the hardware is present on the VM and does not attempt to install all the drivers?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm trying with latest which I downloaded today.(VMware-tools-10.3.0-8931395-)

0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried all three options. If I skip network driver it will stop with scsi.if i skip that it'll stop with ps2.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is there any Windows 2012 R2 VM in the environment where it has been successful? If yes, do you see any difference in the two VMs? Are both working and the non-working VMs on the latest Microsoft patch level?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have many 2012 r2 servers but all are almost same. only differences are only hosts.

all my vm's upgraded to last version 14 and windows updates and patches automated with wsus server .so there can't be any issue with that.

One of these problematic is converted from p2v and other is originally vm.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ensuring the correct Guest Operating System is selected

Check if the following VMware KB article helps: VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you retry a typical installation and get the vminst.log file from %Temp% location?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you have antivirus remove and try installation.

Diego Oliveira
0 Kudos
AUTOZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As requested vminst log files are attached from both the servers.

I have managed to install vmxnet3 drivers manually in safe mode without vmware tools.

If i try to install vmware tools now it will remove vmxnet3 drivers while rolling back.

As suggested I will try to install the tools again after removing anti virus.

But it can be done over the weekend only since these are production servers.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Tools installation is failing with 'Access is denied' error with the error code being 0x80070005. This error code makes us incline towards a permission issue or some Antivirus/Anti-Malware software not allowing the installation -

2018-07-25T16:45:02.249+03:00| tools-build-8931395| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install vmxnet3 driver| winerror code 5 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:45:02.249+03:00| tools-build-8931395| I0: MessageBox( 1407d4, "Setup failed to install the VMXNet3 driver automatically.  This driver will have to be installed manually.", "VMware Tools Installation", 48)

2018-07-25T16:51:16.217+03:00| tools-build-8919955| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install inf C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device\Win8\vmci.inf| HRESULT code 0x80070005 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:51:16.217+03:00| tools-build-8919955| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install vmci driver| winerror code 5 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:51:16.217+03:00| tools-build-8919955| I0: MessageBox( 201a2, "Setup failed to install the VMCI Virtual Machine Communication Interface driver automatically.  This driver will have to be installed manually.", "VMware Tools Installation", 48)

2018-07-25T16:52:12.965+03:00| tools-build-8931395| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install inf C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\pvscsi\Win8\pvscsi.inf| HRESULT code 0x80070005 (Access is denied.)

2018-07-25T16:52:12.965+03:00| tools-build-8931395| E1: PnpDriverManager::InstallPnPDevices: Failed to install pvscsi driver| winerror code 5 (Access is denied.)

Try the below steps -

1) Login with the Windows local administrator account.

2) Disable (uninstalling temporarily would be the best option) any Antivirus/Anti-Malware software.

3) Download new VM tools package from the net (not from the vSphere ISO image mounted on the VM) and place it under C:\ root.

4) Right click on the package folder --> Security --> Ensure the administrator account has full control previlige and it is inherited to the sub-folders and files.

5) Attempt the installation (either individually or as a package).

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet