Sambino239
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM with RDMs will not snapshot

Ive got a VM with some RDMs attached. This is on the latest patch of 6.7

The disk computability mode is set to virtual for all the RDM disks and

Disk Mode is set to Independent - Persistent

The snapshot option is still greyed out and if I power it down is still the case any pointers why its not available ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't have any RDM's to test with, but honestly, this sounds like a good SR for VMware.  Make them earn their money.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In virtual mode the RDM is allowed to be snapshot, but, in Independent-Persistent mode the disk would not be actually snapshot, the changes are still written directly to disk.  Only Dependent mode is truly a snapshot.

More on the disk modes here.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-8B6174E6-36A8-42D...

Sambino239
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi So I thought if I have a VM with say 1 VMDK for the C Drive and 2 RDMs for SQL if I set these to independent can I not snapshot the VM and it takes only the C Drive ? And back up the RDM data separately ? At present the VM cannot snapshot at all and its OS recovery I'm looking at if any changed are made to the OS id live to be able to snapshot first.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In virtual mode you should be able to do that, and having them as Independent - Persistent shouldn't be an issue, but, snapshots for backups?  Are you using something like Veeam?

0 Kudos
Sambino239
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes on Veeam so the backup software takes a snapshot of the VM then releases it 

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't have any RDM's to test with, but honestly, this sounds like a good SR for VMware.  Make them earn their money.

0 Kudos
Sambino239
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Contacted Vmware what I wanted to do was an unsupported config so looking at other options now

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, not always fun to be told that, but at least you can stop putting effort into that line of thought and shift to a different line of thought.  What is the goal you have in mind that led you down the RDM path initially?

0 Kudos