VMware Cloud Community
sloaner14
Contributor
Contributor

VM's run on NAS and Host Local DS after script deployment

Back story: Due to unfortunate events, I had to rebuild my vCenter appliance that is running 6 3ua. Not a big deal as it is for my classroom. I have created scripts to help my build student folders, networks, and deploy VMs. Everything worked great prior to this.

Master VMs are not templates but VMs marked as masters. They are stored on a NAS and deployed as linked clones on the Host's local datastore.

I have ensured that the Master VMs do not have any drives linked to NAS iso files.

Problem: I have noticed that when I deploy the vms using my script the VMs show as running both on the host's datastore and the NAS. I don't recall this happening  before this. Any thoughts on what is happening?

2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If the linked clones have their parent disk on one datastore but the delta on another, this is expected and intended behavior. The client will show any and all resources that belong to that VM and where they're located. This can cause confusion especially if things like ISO images are attached as it will add that datastore in there as well.

sloaner14
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I figured, but wanted to confirm. I guess I never noticed it before. Thanks!

0 Kudos