VMware Cloud Community
Meetoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM is not at correct folder level

I created a custom folder a long time ago in Vcenter Web Client that contains 20 VMs.

I created a new VM & tried to move it to the custom folder by using ‘Move To’.

After I moved the VM, it appeared under the other VMs that were existing in the folder…. it's not at the same level as they are

I tried to drag it to the folder, but it says it’s already there.  If I click on the folder in the Left pane, all 21 VMs appear in the Right pane, so they are all there, but the view in the left pane is wrong.

Folder

(20) virtual machines

newVM

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The Inventory Tree shows an aggregate node when the number of objects exceed 20 in vSphere Web Client 5.5 and 100 in 6.0. Up to 5 constituent nodes can be listed beneath an aggregate node. If a sixth node is grown under an aggregate node it pushes out the oldest node in the list. This behavior is by design.

Ref: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20380...

as they have documented, this is default behaviour in vSphere 5.5 web client.

at least in Web Client of vSphere 6 it is 100 objects and also changeable as per KB.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The Inventory Tree shows an aggregate node when the number of objects exceed 20 in vSphere Web Client 5.5 and 100 in 6.0. Up to 5 constituent nodes can be listed beneath an aggregate node. If a sixth node is grown under an aggregate node it pushes out the oldest node in the list. This behavior is by design.

Ref: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20380...

as they have documented, this is default behaviour in vSphere 5.5 web client.

at least in Web Client of vSphere 6 it is 100 objects and also changeable as per KB.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Meetoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting.  Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos