VMware Cloud Community
awali
Contributor
Contributor

VM inventory service database backup fails

Hello- Im trying to backup VM inventory service Database and its failing any ideas what might be causing this ?

[2013-08-29 10:05:54,255 main  INFO  com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Starting Inventory Service backup script

[2013-08-29 10:05:54,349 main  INFO  com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Backing up Inventory Service data to: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts\inventorydb

[2013-08-29 10:05:54,459 main  INFO  com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Connecting to Inventory Service...

[2013-08-29 10:05:56,709 main  ERROR com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Error: IO_ERROR, Original message: Software caused connection abort: recv failed

[2013-08-29 10:05:56,709 main  ERROR com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Backup failed

[2013-08-29 10:06:25,195 main  INFO  com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Starting Inventory Service backup script

[2013-08-29 10:06:25,226 main  INFO  com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Backing up Inventory Service data to: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts\inventorydb

[2013-08-29 10:06:25,258 main  INFO  com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Connecting to Inventory Service...

[2013-08-29 10:06:26,320 main  ERROR com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Error: IO_ERROR, Original message: Software caused connection abort: recv failed

[2013-08-29 10:06:26,320 main  ERROR com.vmware.vim.dataservices.BackupDb] Backup failed

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sel57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm just curious because I'm experiencing the exact same error.

0 Kudos
awali
Contributor
Contributor

no i was not able to resolve this issue

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

If there is any anti virus, disable it and try taking backup using

On the source machine, open the command prompt in the vCenter Server and change the directory tovCenter_Server_installation_directory\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts.

Run the following command at the prompt to back up the Inventory Service database.

backup.bat -file backup_file_name

When the backup operation finishes, the message Backup completed successfully appears.

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
sel57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi memaad,

While I cannot speak for the OP, that was the exact command I was using when I encountered the error. Disabled/enabled AV makes no difference in my case.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Try taking offline back of Inventory service, stop inventory service and try taking backup.

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

What version of vCenter server you are using ?

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

0 Kudos
sel57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm on 5.1 and the offline back up worked. For whatever reason I thought the service had to be running, but turning it off to take the back up did the trick.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

You should be able to take the backup , I think this is known issue in vCenter server 5.1 and has been resolved in vCenter 5.1 Update 1.

vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 Release Notes

Search with  "inventroy",

This is what it says

Backup of the Inventory Service database fails

A backup operation of the Inventory Service database while the Inventory Service is running fails due to a bad_certificate error.

This issue is resolved in this release

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

0 Kudos