VMware Cloud Community
fhgjw
Contributor
Contributor

VM intermittetly responds to ping requests

Good afternoon all,

I am running a ESXi 5.5 environment U1 with vCentre 5.5, we have around 20 servers deployed over 3 hosts (This is a 3 week old deployment).

I have an exchnage 2013 mailbox server that intermittntly stops responding to ping requests, all other VM's work fine. (Running on Windows server 2012 R2)

We are planning to implement a 10gig network in the next 2 weeks, so all VM's are running on the 'VM Network' each host assigning 2 NIC's.

The VM is on a static IP and other VMS on that host are fine, disabling and re-enabling the VMXNET3 NIC brings back ping responses immediately and so does a reboot of the server.

I've ran a VMKping from the host and it replies consistently without issue.

Physical switch is configured correctly, and as mentioned all other VM's dont have this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vTagion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi fhgjw,

What happens if you migrate the VM to another host? do you get the same inconsistency? Was this exchange VM P2V'd or was it built as a VM? First step would be just to ensure that it's not an issue related to the host by vmotioning to another physical host. If that doesn't solve it then I'd say it's an issue within the VM itself.

If you felt my comment was helpful or solved your problem, please return the favor of marking my answer as solved. Thanks! | http://www.vTagion.com
0 Kudos
fhgjw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks vTagion,

Its a brand new VM not P2V'd built from a template (All other VM's around 15 in total built from the same template dont have this issue).

I'll vMotion it tonight to see if that makes any difference, as i say i disabled the NIC yesterday and reenabled it and it was stable all day, coming in this morning the ping has stopped.

Thanks a lot,

Hassan.

0 Kudos
fhgjw
Contributor
Contributor

AFternoon vTagion,

I've moved the VM to another host, and the problem still persists so can only assume its VM specific.

I'm just ruling out a vmware issus first as Windows seems to check out ok so far.

Thank You

Hassan.

0 Kudos