VMware Cloud Community
ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VIRTUAL MACHINE POWERS OFF AUTOMATICALLY WITH AN ERROR "MXUSERALLOCSERIALNUMBER: TOO MANY LOCKS"

Good morning folks,

first of all please my apologies if this discussion does not belong here (perhaps in section vSAN), but I think that here (vCenter) would probably arrive to more people.

Let's start: I have a solution deployed like this:

- 1 vCSA managing a CLUSTER with 3 ESXi hosts (6.5 compilation 5705665). The storage is vSAN.

- This last weekend one of the VMs hosted in one esxi host got problems. Review the logs, the VM powered off automatically with error: Fatal error from VMware ESX: (vcpu-4) MXUserAllocSerialNumber: too many locks!.

- After, with vSphere HA, the VM automatically started in other esxi host, all OK.

From now, I migrated the VM to the first esxi host and works OK. Now, my question is try to solve the problem of "...too many locks".

I searched information about this error and I found several info from VMware, explaining the problem and explaining the solution (mainly I found KB 2149941). But I did not find when this error happened in a vSAN storage. As you can see in the permanent link from KB 2149941, it explains that it is necessary to modify the .vmx file from the VM. My question if I modify this file in the VM, for the solution explained, would it be propagate to the rest of configuration in vSAN for this VM?.

I make the question in other way: if I modify .vmx file in the main folder from this VM, the other folders that are synchronized with vSAN that stores this VM in the other esxi host, would the changes propagate and make effective? For this question, I found this two links:

KB 1714

KB 1026043

But it not says anithing if the storage is vSAN (assumes that you have a storage where VM is stored 1 time). First of making the changes recommended by these last KBs, I want confirm if anyone knows how to exactly modifiy the files without any affectation or problem in the future.

Apreciating your attention. Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally we found the reason: a USB disk attached to this VM failed and made this error.

I close this now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ToniCapablo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally we found the reason: a USB disk attached to this VM failed and made this error.

I close this now.

0 Kudos