VMware Cloud Community
desadi10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT

I work with Veeam to do backups of virtual machines, but, when I do a backup of vCenter virtual machine, when I go to the VMware vSphere Web Client, in the “Snapshots” tab, there are a los of backups with this name “VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT”.

error vmware 3.png

I deleted them, but, after few days, I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
desadi10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I contacted with Veeam and I solved this problem.

I have this problem with the vCenter virtual machine, so that, I added a standalone server where there was the vCenter virtual machine through DNS, I configure the replication job and I didn’t choose the “Enable application-aware processing” check.

Apparently, the problem is solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Again, not a vSphere issue but a Veeam one. Veeam isn't deleting snapshots or is failing upon trying. Please post in the Veeam forum for such issues.

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When this happens I just remove the snapshots.

Have had no know issues doing that.

But I would double check with Veeam

Here is a KB article from Veeam

KB1790: Veeam Backup Temporary Snapshot

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're using a recent version of Veeam, manually removing the snapshots it creates should be unnecessary. If, for some reason, it isn't removing them, then you have an environmental problem that needs to be remedied and that would be a Veeam question.

0 Kudos
desadi10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I delete manually the snapshots, they are deleted without errors and i don't have any problem with the virtual machine, but, after some time, I have the same problems with the snapshots.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then there is a problem there because that should occur. Since it is, you need to investigate why it isn't removing them in your environment. If that's something you're interested in solving, you should definitely post in the Veeam forum, or just open a support case if you have support.

0 Kudos
desadi10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will try to investigate what is the problem.

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

As a alternate workaround you can

1) Create an alarm in vCenter that will send an email if a snapshot exceeds a certain size.

Go to Home -> Inventory -> Datastores and Datastore Clusters

Alarms tab

View: Defintion

Right Click to create New Alarm

General

----------

Alarm Name: VM with snapshots

Monitor: Virtual Machines, Monitor for specific conditions

Triggers

----------

VM Snapshot Size(GB)

Condition: is above

Warning: 10

Alert:20

Trigger if any of the conditions are satisfied

Actions

---------

Send a notification email

2) Once you receive the email simply click the delete all snapshot from vSphere client and let VMware clean them up.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
desadi10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a very good idea.

I am going to do it, and then, i will post here.

Thanks so much Umesh

0 Kudos
desadi10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I contacted with Veeam and I solved this problem.

I have this problem with the vCenter virtual machine, so that, I added a standalone server where there was the vCenter virtual machine through DNS, I configure the replication job and I didn’t choose the “Enable application-aware processing” check.

Apparently, the problem is solved.

0 Kudos