VMware Cloud Community
Kayathri88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDP 5.1 configuration

Currently, we upgraded our Vcenter to 5.5 and it can't support VDR anymore.

We planned to install VDP 5.1 in our new Vcenter.

Here I have few question on the setup of VDP:

1. Can VDP have 4 appliances in one ESX host?

2. Can we configure 2 disk , each with 1.5TB in one appliance?

3. Can we mount back the old VDR disk in VDP appliance and use back the old data?

4. Can we install VDP without uninstall VDR from Vcenter?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes,

you can take backups of VMs running on different hosts.

If the storage where the VM lies is shared across the hosts, VDP can take a snapshot of the VM, mount the disk to the appliance and do the backup.

If the storage is not shared, the backup will travel across the network.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

vCenter 5.5 is not compatible with VDP 5.1. You need at least VDP 5.5.1. or 5.5.5 Can be checked here:

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

1. Yes

2. No, with 5.1 you would have to choose the size of your appliance before you download it (0,5 TB/ 1 TB/ 2TB) with 5.5 you choose this size in the configuration. But you can only add one datastore per appliance

3. No you can't mount it. There is a migration tool from VDR to VDP. Unfortunatly it only works from VDR to VDP 5.1 and not 5.5:http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2051891

4. Yes, you can keep the VDR appliance running.

Regards

Kayathri88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I downloaded 2TB size of configuration for VDP.

So, is it I only can configure one datastore for this? and the size will be 2TB?

Regards,

Kayathri

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If using VDP Basic and require additional space, a new VDP appliance must be deployed (up to 10 per vCenter Server). It is not possible to migrate data from the original VDP basic appliance to a new, larger appliance.

In your case if you need space more than 2TB you will need to deploy another Appliance. You will not be able to extend the 2TB AFAIK.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

I'm sure that U can have Only 1 VDP appliance can exist per ESXi/ESX host.  not more than one in one esx/esxi. in 1 vcenter u can have 10 VDP appliance

schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

dhanarajramesh wrote:

I'm sure that U can have Only 1 VDP appliance can exist per ESXi/ESX host.  not more than one in one esx/esxi. in 1 vcenter u can have 10 VDP appliance

Yes, sorry, you are right, 1 appliance per host.

Kayathri88 Did you download VDP 5.1? It's not compatible with vCenter 5.5.

0 Kudos
Kayathri88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Abhilash wrote:

If using VDP Basic and require additional space, a new VDP appliance must be deployed (up to 10 per vCenter Server). It is not possible to migrate data from the original VDP basic appliance to a new, larger appliance.

In your case if you need space more than 2TB you will need to deploy another Appliance. You will not be able to extend the 2TB AFAIK.

2TB in one disk is it?

It is possible to configure 2 disk with 1TB each?

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For Disk space required, refer to the configuration part of the below KB Article

VMware KB: vSphere Data Protection (VDP) FAQ

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Kayathri88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dhanarajramesh wrote:

Can we do backup for virtual server in other host which not under same appliance?

For example, can i schedule backup for server in Host (A)  from appliance (B1) which configure in Host (B)?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes,

you can take backups of VMs running on different hosts.

If the storage where the VM lies is shared across the hosts, VDP can take a snapshot of the VM, mount the disk to the appliance and do the backup.

If the storage is not shared, the backup will travel across the network.

Regards

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

no issue you can but better make some flow as like  let say if u  have 10 esxi host , divide in to two group and install separate vadp in both group. and configure backup to communicate appropriate vadp. if there is any vmotion by DRS or U reconfigure right host and vm in backup settings  Why I'm saying because if there is more jobs thru one VDP and your ESXi will get error as Heap size and COW memory issue most of the time will leads to server hang ( though you set to max config) .

0 Kudos