VMware Cloud Community
manadrain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCenter Upgrade 7.0.1 Build 17491160 To 7.0.2.X - Failed Upgrade

I have tried several times and have seen other users who have posted about failed upgrades of VCenter Server Appliance in 7.0.X in general.  I am currently running VCenter Server Appliance 7.0.1 Build 17491160 (Update 1C if I recall) and have tried to upgrade to either 7.0.2 or 7.0.2. Update 1 which was just recently released.  In my most recent attempt I took a snapshot of the VCenter Appliance and also have a File Based Backup.  If I run the upgrade from the GUI (VCenter Appliance Mangement), I can stage the update, then apply the update.  The update appears to upgrade and hangs on "Converting data as part of post install 80%".  Then I get an error "Exception occurred in postinstall Hook".  

I decided to rollback the snapshot and then tried to download the ISO Full Patch Installer for VCenter 7.0.2 build 17920168. I mounted the ISO to the CD/DVD drive on the VCenter Appliance and then tried to run the upgrade by CLI by SSH to the VCenter Appliance.  I ran the following commands to run the upgrade:

software-packages stage --iso

software-packages list --staged

software-packages install --staged

The install ran and said it completed successfully but was not able to start all services.  I rebooted the VCenter Appliance and it appeared to be running 7.0.2 and the correct build.  However I noticed that the Update Manager Service would not start.  I also no longer had "Lifecycle Manger" listed under the Menu and as I would expect under the "Updates" tab on each host I believe I had a message that stated "No Views" if I recall.

I had saved a snapshot at this point and rolled back the snapshot to my 7.0.1 Build 17491160 which is working.  I had opened a case with VMWare Support and have been waiting for a response for a few days on this.  

I have had a lot of problems with upgrading/patching VCenter Server Appliance since going from 6.7 to 7.0.X.  I believe I have only had one successful upgrade that I have not had to open a case with VMware on.  I do know I have not had these issues with 6.5 and 6.7.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
mattconnley
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same issue here with patching 7.0.2.00100/Build 17920168 to 7.0.2.00200 in my home lab.

0 Kudos
manadrain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did get someone from VMWare Support to run a remote session with me and I rolled back my snapshot and we ran the upgrade process again.  The same issue occurred and they had me Reset the VMware Update Manger Database.  If I recall this was using the same instruction as in KB2147284.  Once we did this the Update Manager Service would start and Lifecycle Manger was listed.  I had to reconfigure my setup and pull updates down again.  They believe that with this the upgrade was successful.  However I have another ticket open because since I have upgraded to 7.0.2 my File Based Backup will no longer run.  I have this setup to an SMB Share.  I know the account I am using has permissions because the backup will start, go to about 10%, create the folder, start exporting some tables, then it gives an error and deletes everything.  

I worked with another VMWare Support tech yesterday on this and the case has been escalated.  I don't know if this is an issue with 7.0.2 Update 1 for VCenter or if we have some other issue. 

kpchua83
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, getting hit same error 7.0.0 to 7.0.2. Revert back snapshot try second time update did the VAMI screen shows pop up "Installation in progress" it has been hanging there more than 48hours.

0 Kudos
manadrain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had another post on this forum and was able to get my issue resolved with the file based backups after fixing an issue in my /etc/issue file.  the file didn't have the Type: line with the embedded Platform Services Controller.  It only had one line listing the version of VCenter.  Then it was suggested to run the update to 7.02 B build 17958471 which appears to have ran successfully.  Now my file based backups are running as expected.    Last week I did install the Skyline Health Disanositic VM and ran it against my VCenter.  I got results showing a similar error with a mismatch.  Once I update to 7.02B and I ran the results again I am no longer getting this error.

0 Kudos