VMware Cloud Community
Chrys6571
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter Functionality....in search of.

Back when I first started using Vmware pre-2008 there was an area in Hosts/Clusters in Vcenter that let me move VMs to it but did not impact production.

Its like a segregated area in VMware and its not a folder I think and not sure if it was a resource pool???

I used this quite a bit in the past to do test restores and verify backups.  This area in Vcenter let me do this without impacting the source server that I was restoring.

I tried to explain this to Support but asking them to think outside the typical point in shoot was not working for me.  Im hoping i can get some guidance here as to what this

function in Vmware is that I am speaking about.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're in Hosts and Clusters view, you can either have VMs in the base cluster or in Resource Pools/vApps. That's it. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say "but did not impact production."

What exactly are you trying to test/accomplish as the basis for your request?

0 Kudos
Chrys6571
Contributor
Contributor

Do a test restore of a production vm, direct to Vcenter from Veeam.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You can do that today with no impact to your production VM so long as you disconnect the NIC. If you want to do so otherwise, you need to use SureBackup to connect it to a virtual lab with the correct routing specified in that lab.

0 Kudos
Chrys6571
Contributor
Contributor

Gotcha, i thought there was something else out there.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, not really. What you're describing is exactly what SureBackup inside of Veeam was made to do, so you should be using that based on your use case.

0 Kudos