VMware Cloud Community
jstoffel_tosh
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter 7.0 foundation licensing question

Hi all,

We've got a Vcenter Foundation 7.0 license, which I read as supporting 4 'hosts' but come to find out that 'host' is defined as a CPU with upto 32 cores.  So I've got two hosts, each with two CPUs with 16 cores.  So trying to add in a third host (so I can VMotion VMs off it) I can't do it, because I hit the license limit.  

So what are my options?  Spending $7k to get VCenter full license?  Can I just pay $2k for another VCenter Foundation license to just give me a little more capacity?  

Or should I just remove one of my hosts from VCenter, add in the new host, VMotion off, then pull the new host and them pull back in the original host.  What a **bleep** pain.  And what a **bleep** bait-n-switch on what they mean by 'host'.  That's absolutely crappy in my book.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You assume the wrong thing.

A vCenter Foundation can manage up to 4 Hosts.... the number of CPU sockets doesnt care. If your Hosts have 4 sockets... . you will  have up to 16 sockets. If your Hosts have have only one sockets each ... you will 4 sockets.

Again... the number of sockets doesnt care and have nothing todo with the vCenter Foundation licensing.

vCenter Foundation was End of Sale for a couple of weeks/month a period of time ago. Reason for comming back was "vSAN" i assume. As a note: vCenter Foundation can handle up to 5 Hosts if the 5th. is the virtual witness ESXi Host.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos