VMware Cloud Community
bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCenter 6.5 Update Failed

Hi Friends:

We have a vCenter 6.5 Appliance (6.5.0.15000 Build Number 8024368) managing a very small (2) Host environment. VC is mainly used to manage our VEEAM Backups and for basic functions (host patch management).

Recently, an attempt to Update the appliance via the vCENTER 5480 GUI to 6.5.0.20000 Build Number 8307201 failed. I cannot get logged into the vCenter UI any longer (though I can log into 5480). Attempting to access the web client results in:

503 Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [N7Vmacore4Http20NamedPipeServiceSpecE:0x00005584b7b32f80] _serverNamespace = / action = Allow _pipeName =/var/run/vmware/vpxd-webserver-pipe)

I've tried restarting the appliance. The Web Client continues to throw the 503, and the 5480 Admin UI shows that the status is UNKNOWN, but that there's an update still available.

At this point, my backup jobs (VEEAM) are failing because of the inconsistent state, and this is getting beyond my basic admin capabilities. I was able to figure out how to connect to the vCenter Appliance, run bash, and use 'less' to view the vmware virgo log file. there are errors in there, but I cannot figure out how to collect those log files out of the vcenter appliance and view them in a better editor. (sorry, I'm mainly a Windows Server Admin).

I tried googling the 503. One article said to check for disk space issues, so I ran a df -h and none of the partitions show that they are full. (one shows at 53%).

My main request is for some guidance on how to proceed.

I now have (2) nodes that, while fully operating without issue, cannot connect to the vCenter Server they are being managed by, and my VEEAM backup has the same issue where since it cannot connect to the vCenter Server, backups are failing.

This vCenter Server started off months ago as a v6.0 appliance, was kept up to date, then updated to v6.5, and patched. This most recent attempt to patch it to build 8307201 that failed is the first time I've ran into trouble. I need to figure out the fastest way to resolution.

That's what I need your help with.

If I DL vCenter 6.7 and start with a new fresh appliance, will I be able to decouple my current ESXI 6.5 hosts from the pooched v6.5 vcenter?

Or, should I try to fix the v6.5 appliance? I've tried for days googling how to repair the broken v6.5 appliance. While I've gotten a little more familiar with getting around with BASH and using LESS, I'm really no closer to root causing why the 503 error is coming up, nor resolving that issue.

Again, I'm being up front that while I do have some Administration Chops, this so far is above what I am able to address. So is it possible to fresh install and start over with a V6.7 and then be able to unhook the two hosts from the current pooched system, or, if not, how do I go about root causing what is making the 503 error? How do I get the vCenter LOG files off the appliance, and moved to a system I can use text editors to better review the log files?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Decided to just install new and relocate the HOSTS to the new vCenter Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Decided to just install new and relocate the HOSTS to the new vCenter Server.

0 Kudos