VMware Cloud Community
willc2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCenter 5.5 to 6.5 upgrade

Any hiccups with this upgrade path?

I want to upgrade my current VCenter 5.5u3 and 3 5.5u3 hosts to 6.5 latest.  My current Vcenter server is on a 2012r2 server and I would like to move to 2016.  Can I setup and brand new 2016 server and install VCenter 6.5 on the current setup. Disconnect all 3 hosts from the current vcenter 5.5 server and reconnect them to the new 6.5 server?  Upgrade each host and reconfigure HA?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't do yourself a disservice by continuing to run vCenter on Windows as it is finished after this latest release. Put yourself in a better position by the future by taking this opportunity to migrate to the vCSA and be better off for it come later releases.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't do yourself a disservice by continuing to run vCenter on Windows as it is finished after this latest release. Put yourself in a better position by the future by taking this opportunity to migrate to the vCSA and be better off for it come later releases.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

it's a way.

The virtual switch is standard or VDS? If switch disctribuited (vds) VMware Knowledge Base

I recommend using the VSA. VMware has deprecated vCenter Server for Windows with the release of vSphere 6.7.

Farewell, vCenter Server for Windows - VMware vSphere Blog

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
jvalentine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also of the opinion that you should upgrade to the VCSA, but it should be noted that the original Windows Server is powered down during the migration.

Do you have any other services running on the vCenter windows server that you would need to migrate off first? I would be hopeful that you didn't share this system with any other workload, but it must be noted.

The most common crossover would be the Horizon View Composer service. I can be migrated to a standalone installation and does not need to be vCenter integrated, but it is this type of scenario which could make or break a VCSA migration.

The tool to migrate from vCenter5.5 to 6.5 is solid and runs from an ISO on YOUR PC , you follow the wizard along and it will deploy the virtual appliance into your environment and migrate your data from the source vCenter.

Thank You, Jason Valentine