VMware Cloud Community
PCPUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCenter 5.5 New Install - VCenter Not Showing in Web Client

Hi,

I've installed a fresh simple installation of 5.5 VCenter Server today with all associated pieces.  I can access the web client fine and it will also authenticate with SSO (even though I haven't allowed my username anywhere, maybe as I'm a domain admin it allows this?).  Anyway I digress, when logging into the web client the VCenter count is showing at 0 and I'm obviously unable to perform any tasks at all.

Obviously my link between the VCenter Server and Webclient has gone amiss somewhere and I'm struggling to see how to resolve this.  From my research in 5.5 it should just auto connect and you don't need to "register" as we had to do with the older versions.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

As described in this KB VMware KB: Installing the vSphere 5.5 Web Client on a Microsoft Windows platform

One of the post installation steps of vSphere Web Client is adding SSO Identity Source

Log into the vSphere Web Client and authenticate using the administrator@vsphere.local domain to verify that the SSO and vSphere Web Client are working correctly.

You may also add an external identity source, such as Open LDAP and Active Directory, before deploying vCenter Server and Inventory Services.

For more information on the different types of Identity Sources for vSphere 5.5, see the Add a vCenter Single Sign-On Identity Source section of the vSphere Installation and Setup Guide

Did you login using domain account (user@yourdomain.com)?

Have you tried logging in with username administrator@vsphere.local?

As per vSphere Documentation vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

When an identity source is added, all users can be authenticated but have the No access permission.

If you are logging in using domain account (the domain admin) you might be able to login but cannot perform any tasks as the user is having No access permission.

So you can try to login with username administrator@vsphere.local first then assign permission to your domain account.

The steps to add SSO Identity Source (if the AD has not been added) and Assign Permission (for domain account) are described in vSphere Documentation here:

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center - Add a vCenter Single Sign-On Identity Source

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center - Assign Permissions in the vSphere Web Client

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

As described in this KB VMware KB: Installing the vSphere 5.5 Web Client on a Microsoft Windows platform

One of the post installation steps of vSphere Web Client is adding SSO Identity Source

Log into the vSphere Web Client and authenticate using the administrator@vsphere.local domain to verify that the SSO and vSphere Web Client are working correctly.

You may also add an external identity source, such as Open LDAP and Active Directory, before deploying vCenter Server and Inventory Services.

For more information on the different types of Identity Sources for vSphere 5.5, see the Add a vCenter Single Sign-On Identity Source section of the vSphere Installation and Setup Guide

Did you login using domain account (user@yourdomain.com)?

Have you tried logging in with username administrator@vsphere.local?

As per vSphere Documentation vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

When an identity source is added, all users can be authenticated but have the No access permission.

If you are logging in using domain account (the domain admin) you might be able to login but cannot perform any tasks as the user is having No access permission.

So you can try to login with username administrator@vsphere.local first then assign permission to your domain account.

The steps to add SSO Identity Source (if the AD has not been added) and Assign Permission (for domain account) are described in vSphere Documentation here:

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center - Add a vCenter Single Sign-On Identity Source

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center - Assign Permissions in the vSphere Web Client

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Your setup is done perfectly.But what i am suspecting your virtual center is installed with either domain administrator account or local administrator , please try with these user through web client.You might able to access VC. 

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Bayu has clearly mentioned all steps you should perform. Likely the cause of vCenter showing 0 with your domain account because you have no permissions set on your domain account for vcenter. Please login with sso account - administrator@vsphere.local. Go to virtual center -> select your vcenter server name--> click manage -> click permissions -->add account --> select your domain from drop down list and go for adding your group or yourself individually and assign administrator privileges. log out from administrator@vsphere.local and try again with your AD credential.

Just make sure your domain is listed in identity source tab, if not, please add it as Bayu referred.

Thanks, V

PCPUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

The issue was I have been able to login with administrator@VMWARE.local and not @vsphere.local

My password DID have a ! in it so I've gone through the command line tool and reset the password and can now login and see the inventory.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

0 Kudos