VMware Cloud Community
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VCenter 5.1 won't start after rejoining domain

I have a VCenter 5.1 server that I had to rejoin to the domain. The DC died and I had to rebuild the domain controller from scratch. It's early on in the environment build and the user did not have backups running yet. The SQL database is on another VM which I re-added to the domain and at least I think I've fixed the AD accounts on the SQL server. I can ping the SQL server from the vcenter machine. I also have a webserver that is using the SQL server and it's working properly. All thought the web server is using a SQL account and not a Windows account. That being said this is the VCenter error I get. I'm not sure where I can pull more detailed logs. The VCenter service dies as soon as I try to start it.

Here is the Event Log

Application Error Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: vpxd.exe, version: 5.1.0.35539, time stamp: 0x514d6239

Faulting module name: vmacore.dll, version: 5.1.0.35539, time stamp: 0x514d5992

Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00000000000022f7 Faulting process id: 0xbd0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cefb39789687d1

Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\vpxd.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\vmacore.dll

Report Id: bf5595b0-672c-11e3-958d-000c2944f450

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just rebuilt the VCenter server, was quicker than trying to fix it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Was your vcenter service tagged to ad Account? Can you go to your services, right click on the service and go to properties. Change the logon account to existing AD Account and try starting the service?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It was running as an AD account, I've set the logon account to the new AD account but it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
dangingerich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you change the other VMWare services to the new account, too?  SSO is particularly sensitive to this sort of change.  It may need a uninstall/ reinstall to work again. 

0 Kudos
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The SSO, Vcenter Server, and VCenter Webservices are all set to the new service account. SSO is the only service that actually starts and runs.

0 Kudos
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just rebuilt the VCenter server, was quicker than trying to fix it.

0 Kudos