VMware Cloud Community
Howiedog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA6.5 Backup via FTP FAIL

Hi all.

Installed VCSA6.5 last week. Latest build number 6.5.0.11000

Figured its been running over the weekend, all is good and healthy, so lets go do a Backup.

I create the FTP backup job from the web interface where you manage this stuff (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5480) Summary\Backup.

The backup seems to start...and then sits there.....doing absolutely NOTHING. 20 min later still at 0%.

So...lets Cancel the Backup.

ERROR:

Failed to cancel backup. undefined  >>>>>>ARRRRG

The FTP Location does seem to have some files....like:

rbd.gz

lotus_backup.tar.gz

statsmonitor_db_backup.gz

vum.gz

imagebuilder.gz

database_full_backup.tar.gz

wal_dir_struct.tar.gz

wal_backup_1.tar.gz

full_wal_backup_meta_tar.gz

config_files.tar.gz

backup-metadata.json

About 770MB

CANNOT EXIT BACKUP WINDOW:

ONLY way to get out of this is to reload the Browser, then I go back into "Backup" and ALL my settings are gone. Brilliant!

Backup NEVER progresses.....I CANNOT Cancel the Backup.....and it looks like its doing something as files are on the destination, but are they complete?? is the backup in a consistent state that I can count on? Who knows.....its a crap shoot.

I would say this really needs to be BULLET PROFF...yes?? I also heard that "image" backups..like using VEEAM...will also not work...is this true too??

If so...then at this point in my journey, I have ZERO ability to backup this appliance. 100%FAIL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AbhijithPrabhud
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi -

Thanks for reporting this issue. We would need logs to look into details on what is failing, just by looking at the entry in FTP server, it seems backup is successful and issue is with the VAMI UI reflecting the status of the backup. Could you raise an SR to follow-up further?

Also, image based backups (VEEAM, CommVault etc.,) are all supported as long as they use our 'VMware vSphere Storage APIs' as listed here - Image-Based Backup and Restore of a vCenter Server Environment 

0 Kudos
Howiedog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

This is vmware NEWEST offering....installed an running for 4 days.........and I now need to raise an SR??

Fail...fail...fail

Hyper V here I come.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please look into the links provided and see if  have the answers to the issues you were having.

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/backing-up-vcsa-6-5-natively-using-ftps/

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful

0 Kudos