VMware Cloud Community
bjbrennan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA with external PSC migration to 6.7

So I have two sites that are setup for manual SRM with vCenter servers that are VCSAs with an external Platform Services Controller.  So I understand that I have to migrate from 6.5 to 6.7 starting with the PSC.

What I am wondering is that if I have to essentially build a new PSC to start with why not build it embedded and migrate that way?  Instead of consolidating my external PSCs with vCenter servers through the vcsa-util command. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What I am wondering is that if I have to essentially build a new PSC to start with why not build it embedded and migrate that way?

But you aren't essentially building a new PSC, you're upgrading your existing one on 6.5 to be version 6.7. The wizard takes care of the process for you, but it isn't the same thing as you going off and manually deploying a new PSC from scratch.

Instead of consolidating my external PSCs with vCenter servers through the vcsa-util command. 

Consolidation is another thing altogether, and it's not a requirement after upgrading to 6.7. You may optionally choose to do this, but it's not mandatory.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What I am wondering is that if I have to essentially build a new PSC to start with why not build it embedded and migrate that way?

But you aren't essentially building a new PSC, you're upgrading your existing one on 6.5 to be version 6.7. The wizard takes care of the process for you, but it isn't the same thing as you going off and manually deploying a new PSC from scratch.

Instead of consolidating my external PSCs with vCenter servers through the vcsa-util command. 

Consolidation is another thing altogether, and it's not a requirement after upgrading to 6.7. You may optionally choose to do this, but it's not mandatory.

0 Kudos
bjbrennan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the advice daphnissov.

I guess I am confused by the documentation from VMware in regards to this process.

"The upgrade of the vCenter Server Appliance or Platform Services Controller appliance is a migration of the old version to the new version, which includes deploying a new appliance of version 6.7. You can deploy the new appliance on an ESXi host 6.0 or later, or on the inventory of a vCenter Server instance 6.0 or later. You assign a temporary IP address to the new appliance to facilitate the configuration and services data migration from the old appliance to the newly deployed appliance. After the migration, the IP address and host name of the old appliance are applied to the new upgraded appliance of version 6.7. At the end of the upgrade, the temporary IP address is released and the old appliance is powered off."

Taken from Upgrading the vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller Appliance

Is there a better document that I should be following please?

0 Kudos
bjbrennan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found several videos for update process and it appears that the installer splits everything into two parts.  While the documentation is correct in that a new appliance is set up this is all handled by the upgrade tool.  You use a temporary IP and then in the second stage it moves over the information.  So while it sounds like you are building a new PSCA and migrating things the tool is performing this in an automated fashion.

Thank you again daphnissov for the advice.

0 Kudos