VMware Cloud Community
phase_k
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA issues - aparent connectivity problems

As of last Friday we are having some major issues with our vCenter Server Virtual Appliance (v5.1).

The initial symptoms (which continue) are getting logged out of the vSphere client when connected to the vCenter server, which throws up a string of error messages, and also certain Datastores cannot be browsed. Here are some of the error messages:

* The request failed because the server 'vcenter' closed the connection. (The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.) - Call "HostStorageSystem.RetrieveDiskPartitionInfo" for object "storageSystem-7172" on vCenter Server failed

* Error - The session for the reques is not valid

* vim.fault.NoHost - Call "HostStorageSystem.RetrieveDiskPartitionInfo" for object "storageSystem-7172" on vCenter Server failed

* Connection to the vCenter server was lost while completing the last command. Confirm that the command was successfully completed.

* The request failed because of a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server) - Call "PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents" for object "propertyCollector" on...

A bit of further information:

* I can connect to all 3 of my Hosts directly, without any issues

* I noticed that the Core Dumps folder on the VCSA was at 100% so I cleared it, but the issues remain

* I can ping the VCSA at all times without losing any packets

* I cannot find anything in the log files to indicate an error - but then there is a lot in the log files!

* When logged into vSphere onto vCenter, some of the VM's on one Host are currently showing as Orphaned, even though the vCenter server can see all the DataStores

Does anyone have any ideas on this as I can't find any KB articles that seem to apply and I cannot find any similar posts. I am happy to provide any further information I may have missed?

Thanks,
Karl

Thanks, Karl
0 Kudos
2 Replies
phase_k
Contributor
Contributor

A few updates:

* vCenter seems to be more stable at the moment (we have not made any changes) but one Host in particular is still showing as Disconnected and won't seem to reconnect - error message "Timed waiting for vpxa to start"

* I can still connect to this Host directly with vSphere

* I can ping from the Host to vCenter via DNS name and vice-versa

Does anyone have any ideas as I'm starting to think maybe I need to redeploy vCenter?

Thanks,

Karl

Thanks, Karl
0 Kudos
phase_k
Contributor
Contributor

I am starting to think this issue may be down to a Host and not the vCenter server. I rebooted the Host which was having the issue, then attempted to reconnect it in vCenter, at that point (around 90%) I got kicked out of vCenter. Has anyone seem a Host have this affect on vCenter?

Thanks, Karl
0 Kudos