VMware Cloud Community
mblower
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA Update Manager - HTML5 vs FLEX

We are running the latest version of VCSA 6.7, and attempting to update our ESXi hosts using the VMware Update Manager. In the HTML5 interface, if I go to Menu >> Hosts and Clusters, and then select one of the ESXi hosts, then I can click on the "Updates" tab all the way on the right. Within that, is an overview. I click "Check Compliance" and it says I need some patches. Ok, so far so good. However, below that it shows Remediation Pre-check, 1 user action is required. If I run the pre-check remediation, it says "DRS should be enabled."  We don't use that feature, and don't want to enable it. I don't see any way around it in this interface, and therefore can't proceed with updating this host.

If I instead log in to the flash-based web client (Flex), go to Menu >> Hosts and Clusters, and then select the host, then I click on "Update Manager" tab, all the way on the right. It shows the baselines, and I can click on the "Scan for updates" button. It shows that some updates are needed, so I click the "Remediate" button, and go through the screens. It asks to disable certain cluster features, which it will automatically re-enable. The only one that is checked is "Disable Distributed Power Management if it is enabled." I click Next, and then Finish. Remediation begins, the host gets patched, and rebooted.

So, what am I doing wrong in the HTML5 version of Update Manager that I can't proceed with the update? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

you're most likely not doing anything wrong. I've seen that message too in the HTML5 client. However Remediation worked anyway.

Likely a bug!?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

you're most likely not doing anything wrong. I've seen that message too in the HTML5 client. However Remediation worked anyway.

Likely a bug!?

André

0 Kudos
mblower
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll try again tonight and see if I can proceed anyway. I'll post if I was successful or not. Thanks!

0 Kudos
mblower
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, looks like you were right!

I clicked on Host Updates, Selected the baseline "Critical Host Patches" and then clicked "Remediate."

"Pre-check has found 1 issue that will block remediation."  However, I was able to click the "Remediate" button in the lower right-hand corner of the window, and it proceeded with the remediation.

Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos