VMware Cloud Community
gcdc
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA Replacement Process

Morning, I am in the process of replacing a VCSA 5.5 server with an external Oracle database server with a new VCSA 5.5 server using the embedded postgres db.

I have installed the new VCSA, configured single sign-on, set up identity sources, recreated the datacenter, clusters, the folder structure within VMs and Templates, roles and permissions.

I understand that all VM settings, licensing, datastore information, specific standard virtual switches will move when the hosts are connected but I was wondering about a couple items.

1) the original datacenter has an ip pool - will this move with the hosts or does it need to be reconnected?

2) there are several items configured under "Networking" at the top level of the tree.  These appear to correlate to the standard switches defined on each host.  Am I to assume that these will also be moved when the hosts are connected to the new vCenter Server Appliance?

3) when the hosts are moved, will the VM's be placed back in the same folder location in VMs and Templates, or will they need to be moved after the hosts are connected?

Are there tasks I am missing, other than to now disconnect the hosts from the original VCSA and connect them to the new VCSA?

Thanks for the guidance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ZenithVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All the host specific settings will be persistent. Any VC specific setting would need a reconfiguration.

1) the original datacenter has an ip pool - will this move with the hosts or does it need to be reconnected?

IP pool for data center. what setting is it actually and if its visible on connecting the host directly via viclient it will be retained on VC server.

2) there are several items configured under "Networking" at the top level of the tree.  These appear to correlate to the standard switches defined on each host.  Am I to assume that these will also be moved when the hosts are connected to the new vCenter Server Appliance?

All the standard switch policies will be retained

3) when the hosts are moved, will the VM's be placed back in the same folder location in VMs and Templates, or will they need to be moved after the hosts are connected?

The vcenter server will provide a consolidated view of all the VMs, under VMs and Templetes, If you had created additional folders in your previous setup those need to be reconfigured again.

0 Kudos