VMware Cloud Community
steph2800
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 8.0U1a update precheck error: VMDir replication is not working correctly

We have two vcenter appliances running 8.0.1.  While trying to apply the 8.0.1 update 1a patch, one vcenter completed successfully.  The second vcenter would fail during update pre-check with error "VMDir replication is not working correctly."

The replication seems to be working properly.  Both vCenter can see each other's inventory.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Identical issue here. One minor difference, as part of the upgrade on the failed vCenter it warned that the root password had expired and need to be change (which I did). After reboot and trying to patch again I got this error. The other vCenter upgraded without an issue, it's root password is set to never expire.

0 Kudos
asheard
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here. 2 VC"s running 8.0.1.00300 trying to update to 8.0.2

vc1 passes check fine, vc2 fails with vmdir error but when i run all tests everything checks out. 

anyone figure this out yet? i have an open SR and will post here if it gets resolved.

0 Kudos
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm still having this issue, I have removed the previously staged update and staged 8.0.2.00100 instead, but no difference.

I noticed that I was having issues logging in even though I was fairly certain I had the right password. I reset the vCenter password and set it to never expire, but this did not fix my issue.

Anyone else make any progress?

0 Kudos
asheard
Contributor
Contributor

i finally got it resolved via vmware support.

after 3 sessions of doing things he gave me a script to run on the vcenter with the error and it basically rebuilds and resyncs the SSO relationship with the other vcenter

i have attached the script, use at your own risk but it worked fine for me. 

recommend doing a cold snapshot of both vcenters first, boot them both up, wait for all services to be running and then run this script on the vcenter with the vmdir error

he also said he is seeing more and more of this problem so it will likely get fixed in future vcenter builds - its a bug,

i did not touch or modify this script that was provided via official vmware support but you can also read through it to see what it's doing.

i hope this helps others!

dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for sending the script. I tried to run it but it errored out, but it got me thinking and I decided to troubleshoot my VMDIR issue. I logged directly into the vCenter and ran these commands:

cd /usr/lib/vmware-vmdir/bin
./vdcrepadmin -f showservers -h localhost -u administrator
./vdcrepadmin -f showpartners -h localhost -u administrator

I found a legacy 7.0.3 vCenter which I had decommissioned long ago, but had not removed it properly. I tried to use Using the cmsso command to unregister vCenter with External PSC or vCenter with Embedded PSC from Si... to remove it, but that also errored out.

I was about to throw in the towel, but instead I pulled the old vCenter out of mothballs and brought it back online. Sure enough, that fixed the VMDIR error when upgrading the second 8.0 vCenter and the upgrade completed successfully.

I'll attempt to decommission and unlink this old vCenter properly next.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

All my issues are now resolved, I believe I could have resolved this in the first place if I hadn't fat fingered the name of the vCenter I was trying to remove using this command:

cmsso-util unregister --node-pnid oldvcenterFQDN  --username administrator@vsphere.local --passwd Mypass

CTRIM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This command did work for us. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH @dbutch1976 

0 Kudos