VMware Cloud Community
MGarito
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 7 inconsistent Interface Icons (Feedback for UI/UX team)

In VCSA 7's navigation tree the interface icons are used inconsistently which makes managing a large inventory that much more difficult as one must scroll endlessly.

Today the four (4) filters are set to:

1. The "Cluster" icon will show both ESXi hosts and VMs.
  2. The "Template" icon will show both templates and VMs.
  3. The "Datastore" icon will show only datastores.
  4. The "Network" icon will show only networks.

Please add a fifth (5) filter icon specifically for VMs and correct the current filtering inconsistency so that each icon corresponds to one type of result.

1. The "Cluster" icon will show only ESXi hosts.
  2. The new "VM" icon will shown only VMs. 
  3. The "Template" icon will show only templates.
  4. The "Datastore" icon will show only datastores.
  5. The "Network" icon will show only networks.

The attached screenshots show the madness that is the current filtering system.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

This has actually been the behavior ever since I can remember from the first version of vCenter.  If you go to My Preferences in vCenter (click on your username in the upper right) then you can go under Inventory and uncheck "Show VMs in Host and Clusters view".  That will only show hosts in the Hosts and Clusters view.

The VM section, which you incorrectly identify as "Template", only shows VMs.  Note, a template is a VM, just with a specific flag set so that it cannot be directly powered on, but it can be cloned.  So showing VMs and Templates is exactly how this part of the inventory should work.

The VM section also shows the VM folder structure.

0 Kudos
MGarito
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding, "Show VMs in Host and Clusters view", this was helpful, thank you.

However because the "VM Section" clearly uses the templates icon (see attached) and I have hundreds of VMs and templates, I still strongly suggest the UI/UX team add a fifth filter using the VM icon that is explicitly for VMs.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note that the Communities forums are for users, there's no guarantee that anyone from the correct product team will see your post.

(although I work for VMware I have no idea who is in the product team so cannot tag anyone)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
MGarito
Contributor
Contributor

Providing feedback to VMware has always been an challenge...

I have asked the support team repeatedly for a feedback intake form, but as far as I know it has yet to materialize.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

I would suggest use the Folders feature to put your templates all there so that they can be organized and nested out of the way.  I worked in an organization with > 10,000 VMs and never really came across that, but we had very little templates, always deployed from fresh, which is a security best practice for Windows Servers anyway.

0 Kudos