AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 7.0 /storage/log is low on space AGAIN?

Is dealing with Disk/Log space an issue again in 7.0? 

With 6.0 I was very used to getting space warnings and having to trim logs and reconfiguring log rotations.  WHEN I UPGRADED TO 6.7 I NEVER ONCE HAD TO CLEAN UP SPACE.  

I upgraded to 7.0 just a couple months ago and although my VCSA Disk size went from 1 TB to 3 TB I am now getting Storage warnings on my VCSA. 

File system /storage/log is low on storage space.
Increase the size of disk /storage/log

I haven't researched it much yet and but is this going to become a common maintenance task again?  If so, I am very disappointed. 

I will update this thread with my findings but wondering if anyone else is dealing with space issues since upgrading to 7.0?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So the culprit in my situation appears to be the sps-access-log.2021-03-23.log files found in /var/log/vmware/vmware-sps .  Simple rm of the older ones cleaned up space.  Found an article that also mentioned removing Storage Profile Service access logs.  

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/83070

1. Check for and remove excessive Storage Profile Service access logs
cd /var/log/vmware/vmware-sps
ls -lha sps-access*log
rm sps-access*log

I had thought they had improved the log handling in 6.7 as I didn't have to clean up logs nor have I run out of space since I was on 6.0.  If this is the norm again that's a big step back.   

0 Kudos