VMware Cloud Community
nebb2k8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 7.0 Update 3 - Inventory Spacing

VMware, why... Why did you suddenly add such a large spacing in your CSS. Working with a large estates is a nightmare.

Making a small change to the CSS can fix this! Even if you "like" your new styling, give us a "Compact" option under user profiles.

.clr-treenode-caret {
height: 1.6rem -> 1.2rem
}

Look at the difference!

nebb2k8_0-1635781883165.png

10 Replies
NSabbe-Mucci
Contributor
Contributor

What .css file did you modify?

0 Kudos
nebb2k8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have not modified any files directly on the VCSA. But you can use a browser extension called Stylebot, and use this code snippet

.clr-treenode-caret { height: 1.2rem }
0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it's wasting space for years now and becomes worser - thanks god we have only 20 guests inclduing VCSA these days, with the native client we had 35 and there was no need for scrolling, with 6.5 there was space for additional two guests and now excatly the 20 existing ones match the available space on a "admin-vm" with a maximized firefox

what is more worse with 7.0.3. it lost all the customizations which fields should be dispalyed, where and how wide

but hey, with 7.0.3 you can now read progress bars again when you are using the dark theme without selecting it 🙂

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I just pointed your feedback out to the engineering team, hopefully someone can look in to it.

loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks - please give them also the attached screenshot!

the red areas are pure space wasting and it takes me two minutes to think how reoder a vew pieces like the search to avoid wasting height which is precious on these days screens

when you then stop wasting space on the left side there is enough space to have recent actions and alerts on the right side, i had the actions right on top and the alerts ordered directly below and i will explain you why:

on my 32" widescreen desktop tgaskbar is left, thunderbird with folders positioned so that i can see new mails at any time, my browser with the focus right of it is positioned in a way i can see the left part of my shell at any time, right from my browser a remote desktop with firefox and the vsphere client is (was) positioned so that i can face any alerts and progress at any point of time

and finally on the right side of the screen my local widgets for cpu/memory/disk-io and network traffic

that way you can drink your beer and smoke a cigarette while listening to good music and see *everything* which may need your attention without even touch a mouse or keyboard

Tags (1)
nebb2k8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you depping. You have a good track record!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

just got a reply, they are gathering all feedback around this issue, and they will investigate how they can improve it for a future release. I can't say when/if of course.

Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

+1 on this being a pain. Here's hoping they fix it 'soon' (Realizing they probably are focused on fixing the esxi 7.0U3 mess first...)

0 Kudos
Nicolas_Simon
Contributor
Contributor

Big +1 on this.

We just upgraded our vcenter from 7.0u2 to 7.0u3, and I was very happy to see that the spacing issue was resolved for the tasks tab.

Then I looked up and saw that now the spacing appears on the inventory , it's even worse than on the tasksbar.

Just ... why ... :'(

Working with big inventories are worse than before - ** scroll scroll scroll **

0 Kudos
ChuckS42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree! Was hoping they'd give us an option for spacing on the inventory list.

0 Kudos