VMware Cloud Community
bardess
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6 fresh install - can't ping interface

Just performed a fresh install of VCSA 6 in a 5.5 vc/esx environment. The install completed without errors however I can't seem to ping the management interface.

I have verified the settings, IP/mask/gw, etc and they are correct. I tried moving the VM in between the two esx hosts in the cluster. It's in the correct network as well. I have years of experience with VMware back to 3.5 so I'm trying everything I can think of but I'm stuck at this point. I do see that the box has a VMXNET3 interface where the rest of the windows boxes have the e1000, but that doesn't seem to be a configurable item on the appliance.

Anyone have any ideas that I haven't tried?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Open up the console and login. It's set-up to look just like a blue version of ESXi, and works the same way.

Check the Management network is set correctly.

Switch to the shell (Alt-F1), login and launch Bash (instructions are right on the screen, after login.

Try to ping out from the VCSA (like the gateway, or the Management IP of the ESXi host where it resides.

Let me know, I will be watching.

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
bardess
Contributor
Contributor

Well that was helpful since I didn't know how to even get to a local console on this platform. I wasn't able to ping but after looking at the settings for the umpteenth time I realized the problems. The management network is different than the network the guests are in. I guess there is some other network configurations on the physical/logical (not vmware) that I wasn't aware of. I set up a temporary vm network on the same interface as the management int and boom then it works.

So thanks for the help and sorry for the slow reply!

0 Kudos