VMware Cloud Community
BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA 6.7U1 deployment error - Failed to run vdcpromo

I am trying to deploy a VCSA on version 6.7U1 but I keep running into the same issue, stage 1 runs fine but when I start stage 2 I get the error " Failed to run vdcpromo ". I downloaded the logs and error.log shows:

No file found matching /etc/vmware/install-defaults/cm.url

No file found matching /etc/vmware-vpx/vcdb.properties

No file found matching /etc/vmware-vpx/vc-extn-cisreg.prop

I had a look at other posts with similar errors and they suggest the special characters in the SSO administrator might be causing the issue but I have tried different characters and combos but I get the same error each time.

I redownloaded the iso to see if it was an iso issue but that made no difference. I even tried other version of 6.7 but got the same error for them too.

I am trying to host it on a R620 running 6.7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cannot point DNS at your router, that's not how this works. Even in a home lab you must have functional internal DNS. Without it, this won't work.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Hope the following can help:  https://techbrainblog.com/2015/09/29/vcsa-6-0-firstboot-script-execution-error-failed-to-run-vdcprom...

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if this applies, it is the only vCenter in a test environment so I'm not sure where the ports would need to be opened to?

I tried a different SSO domain name just to but I get the same error. The VCSA is also the PSC and it is the only one.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do you have the timesync and dns in place before deployment ?

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a home lab so I have the ESXi NTP pointing to pool.ntp.org and then the VCSA to sync with that for time. The time on the host is correct. For DNS I have both the ESXi and vCenter pointing to my ISP router.

I will try getting the VCSA to point directly to pool.ntp.org as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cannot point DNS at your router, that's not how this works. Even in a home lab you must have functional internal DNS. Without it, this won't work.

BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same result if I point the VCSA NTP to an external NTP source Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking at the log mentioned in that article I see this error:

Vdcpromo failed. Error 382312491: Failed to connect to the remote host, reason = rpc_s_inval_net_addr (0x16c9a02b)

But this confuses me as I am choosing embedded PSC...

0 Kudos
BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh really? Is that new to 6.7 as I didn't have to for 6.5.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it's not new to 6.7. Even 6.5 had a mandate on internal DNS, so, again, if you don't have this (forward AND reverse records needed) then that is why your deployment is failing.

0 Kudos
BurningSky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, set up a DNS server and to this up and running. Not sure how I got the VCSA to deploy previously!

0 Kudos
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding a note here since I ran into the same issue deploying VCSA 6.7U1 in a home lab environment.  I deleted the failed deployment and tried a second time, only changing a couple items and it succeeded.  I'm not sure which change solved the issue, but I do not have a valid internal DNS server running so I don't believe that's a requirement.  Instead of leaving the optional FQDN entry blank, I entered the IP address of the VCSA as FQDN.  I used my internal router IP address as the DNS server entry, but also added 8.8.8.8 separated by a comma.  Appears one of these two solved the issue.  If I had to guess, it was using the IP address as the FQDN that solved it.  Busy today, but when I get some time, I'll try to replicate error and only apply one change at a time to verify.  Cheers! 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Normally if you don't supply a valid, internal DNS, the deployment fail because the vCSA attempts to look itself up. I don't know how this succeeded in your case, but that doesn't mean you *should* do it. Also, just because it did somehow work doesn't mean it's still not a requirement. Depending on what you later attempt with the vCSA, some operations are going to fail. So although that's nice you somehow got it installed, by not having DNS you're setting yourself up for problems later even if you don't see them now. DNS is a requirement for vCSA.

wison_lu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

only set FQDN for vcenter IP ,and DNS  CAN ping PASS,not actual DNS,only can ping pass the DNS IP.

then vi /etc/hosts  add:

vcenter IP  localhost

and you can complete the vcenter install without DNS