VMware Cloud Community
mulae
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.7U1 backups when multiple route objects exists

Since we've upgraded to VCSA 6.7U1 (10244745) we seemt o have encountered a problem affecting our backups. We have HA configured and the interfaces need to reside on a different subnet. We have configured the static routes in "/etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network" and they work fine without any probs at all.

However when we execute the backup we get this message in the backup log file : 2019-01-18T10:48:03.883 [MainProcess:PID-10257] ERROR: BackupManager encountered an exception: While reading from '/etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network.manual' [line 17]: section 'Route' already exists

Upon commenting the route objects backup works fine.

We tested this again on 6.7U1b (11726888) and when we execute a backup with multiple routes we get the same result of backup failed. ( different outcome as backup doesnt even start, and a support dump is created).

Has anyone tried taking backups of 6.7U1 with multiple route statements in the network config ? We already have a support ticket open however investigation and reply is taking too long Smiley Sad

My eth0 network file is as per below :

[Match]

Name=eth0

[Network]

Gateway=172.16.xxx.1

Address=172.16.145.10/24

DHCP=no

[DHCP]

UseDNS=false

[Route]

Gateway=xxxx

Destination=yyyy/32

[Route]

Gateway=xxxx.1

Destination=yyy/32

[Route]

Gateway=xxxx.1

Destination=yyy/32

Thanks!

mulae

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ashish2201
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This issue is because backup reads line by line and if it found anything duplicate it will give an error.

For get this resolved comment the line [Route] -> #[Route] and change gateway and destination to Gateway0, Destination0 and so on.

The /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network file should look like

#[Route]

Gateway0=x.x.x.x

Destination0=x.x.x.x

#[Route]

Gateway1=x.x.x.x

Destination1=x.x.x.x

#[Route]

Gateway2=x.x.x.x

Destination2=x.x.x.x/24

Note: If gateway does not provide proper connectivity, replace GatewayX with GATEWAY X=y.y.y.y

With Regards

Ashish

0 Kudos
DmitryGer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I have the same problem.I'm trying to change /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network:

[Match]

Name=eth0

[Network]

Gateway=10.70.1.254

Address=10.70.1.240/24

DHCP=no

[DHCP]

UseDNS=false

[Route]

Gateway0=10.70.1.1

Destination0=10.69.40.0/22

[Route]

Gateway1=10.70.1.1

Destination1=10.69.46.0/26

1. After applying the changes i restart networking "systemctl restart systemd-networkd", the routing table is cleared, the default route remains. But ping to another network working normaly.

2. I try to backup and have the same error: ERROR: BackupManager encountered an exception: While reading from '/etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network' [line 15]: section 'Route' already exists

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

I know it's not a direct solution for your problem but why not do the routing in the network instead of trying to do it inside the VCSA?

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
vSitta
Contributor
Contributor

Hello we have same problem vith VCSA 7 but modifing the 10-eth0.network the routing does not work anymore. We cannot global network due to security policies. Any idea?

Davide Sitta www.sinergy.it
0 Kudos