VMware Cloud Community
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCSA 6.7 running on an ESXi 5.5 host?

Hi,

Whilst I know a VCSA v6.7 appliance can't manage ESXi v5.5 hosts can it actually run on one? The reason I ask is we have a large internal vCenter & ESXi v5.5u3 environment but also several ESXi hosts running in gateways etc.  The internal cluster is due a complete refresh but before then we have an issue that deploying any new hosts outside this environment we are forced to use ESXi v5.5 as we want to keep the vCenter running on the internal cluster.

As a stop gap I want to build another vSphere environment which would have a VSCA v6.7 + any new gateway non-internal cluster ESXi hosts (also running v6.7) would be managed by it, but with the VCSA running on an internal core cluster v5.5u3 host. Is that supported? I can't see VCSA would be doing anything low level enough (just to run) that it would care it's on a v5.5u3 host but HCL/Googling info just seems to be about the version of hosts you can manage not the versions it can run on.

Cheers,

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you are explicitly asking whether it is supported, see Software Requirements for the vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller Appliance

The VMware vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller appliance can be deployed on ESXi 6.0 hosts or later, or on vCenter Server instances 6.0 or later.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Rather we check as VCSA, we have an option to check the guest OS that are supported in a particular ESXi version . VCSA is based out of photon OS, so I filtered in VMware HCL page and it looks like only photon version 1,0 is supported on ESXi 5.5

VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

Since 6.7 is the latest release of VCSA , I think it should be either on photon 2.0 or 3.0. In that case , this is not a supported guest OS on ESXi 5.5

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you are explicitly asking whether it is supported, see Software Requirements for the vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller Appliance

The VMware vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller appliance can be deployed on ESXi 6.0 hosts or later, or on vCenter Server instances 6.0 or later.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, both were useful answers, seems I need a plan B! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos