VMware Cloud Community
BScott66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 6.5 - Update Manager Failing

Have a brand new install of ESXi 6.5, vCenter 6.5 and I am trying to perform a scan on the hosts and it will not finish.

I looked at the logs and I am seeing the below:

<FQDN> = vCenter Server FQDN

-----Result Begin (<FQDN>)-----

<esxupdate-response>

<version>1.50</version>

<error errorClass="MetadataDownloadError">

<errorCode>4</errorCode>

<errorDesc>Failed to download metadata.</errorDesc>

<url>http://<FQDN>:9084/vum/repository/hostupdate/vmw/vmw-ESXi-6.5.0-metadata.zip</url>

<localfile>None</localfile>

<msg>('http://<FQDN>:9084/vum/repository/hostupdate/vmw/vmw-ESXi-6.5.0-metadata.zip', '/tmp/tmpjz0hirzy', '[Errno 14] curl#7 - "Failed to connect to <FQDN> port 9084: Connection refused"')</msg>

</error>

</esxupdate-response>

Do I need to open ports on the vCenter Appliance for this to be successful?

Being that that the vCenter and vUM are on the same device I would expect this to working without modification.

The ESXi Hosts and the vCenter server resolve to the same local VLAN /24 there is not firewall traversion needed or communication to transpire for the scan to succeed.

Although the Infrastructure network(VLAN) these servers are on is locked down to other network, the internet is open for all ports (Outbound: Any/Any).

Name resolution is working as expected resolving both internal and externally.

I have already performed a UM database reset:      /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-util reset-db

And also removed the Patch Store:                         rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*

With no success in progressing further.

2 Replies
BScott66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, accessing the URL for the metadata file is successful from a system on the same network.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you make changes to default port 9084 while Update Manager installation ?

From ESXI shell execute nc -zv 'VCENTERIP' 9084 and check the output.

On VCSA can you check with netstat if VUM is listening on 9084 port ?

0 Kudos