Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA 6.5 Migration greyed out

Hardware:

4x HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9

2x HP ProLiant DL380 Gen8

VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 5969303

All guests running Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016

After upgrading the ESXi Server from 6.0 to 6.5 with the latest HP Image from July 27, 2017 and installing VCSA 6.5u1 for some machines the migration status is greyed out. I marked a machine will be greyed out after creating a snapshot and deleting it.

According to the support, they have no solution, only a workaround - to remove the machine and add again. (And to wait for a new update/upgrade from vmware). It seems they mean it, but for our organization it seems, vmware is kidding us.

Paying for beta-software could only be a joke. If the hardware is breaking, the greyed out machines will not be placed on working hardware. And working with upgrade manager will be not possible too.

pastedImage_2.png

After working with the support for meanwhile more than six weeks, I created a script to remove and add the machines again. Causethe "migration status" could not be read out, the script can only remove and add again the machines and have to wait for some personal input.

Any idea before we change to hyper-v?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wunderwuzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, VMware was unable to solve the problem for two months. HP has also failed. The crucial advice came from Veritas to install the VMware tools at least with version 10.1.10 created on July 29 too. However, in the HP image of July 29, 2017, only the VMware Tools 10.1.7 are included, the VMware Update Manager had not installed them in the future either. Sorry for HP to install old Tools. I am sorry to inform you that I am very disappointed with such a bad problem solution on the part of VMware. Another catastrophe of this kind can no longer be tolerated. At the same time, I hope that VMware will find a professional and fast solution in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Please see if the KB below helps you in understanding why the VM's are grayed out:

Migrate option is grayed out on a powered-off virtual machine (2044369) | VMware KB

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is very interesting to me. We plan on moving to 6.5U1 soon with very similar hardware (HP BL460 G9). Does VMware thinks its there issue or an issue with the hardware?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Wunderwuzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, VMware was unable to solve the problem for two months. HP has also failed. The crucial advice came from Veritas to install the VMware tools at least with version 10.1.10 created on July 29 too. However, in the HP image of July 29, 2017, only the VMware Tools 10.1.7 are included, the VMware Update Manager had not installed them in the future either. Sorry for HP to install old Tools. I am sorry to inform you that I am very disappointed with such a bad problem solution on the part of VMware. Another catastrophe of this kind can no longer be tolerated. At the same time, I hope that VMware will find a professional and fast solution in the future.

0 Kudos