VMware Cloud Community
mkralj
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.5 Management - Performance charts "no data to display"

I have problems with performance charts in VCSA 6.5 management after upgrade to 6.5.0a.

Upgrade to 6.5.0d didn't resolve the problem.

In "Networking", "CPU and Memory" and "Database" sections there should be perf charts, but instead I get "No data to display".  

In vSphere Web Client there are no problems with charts.

Does anyone has the same problems?

Please see attachment.

14 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

See if this helps Troubleshooting gaps in performance data or missing performance data in vCenter Server (1003878) | V...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
JamPie
Contributor
Contributor

It was working fine for me, but broke when I installed the 6.5.0.10000 update.

I have several VCSA running and so far it seems to work only on the external PSC.

All other give the same "No data to display"

When selecting 1 week ... I do get the graph up to the point where I ran the update last week.

0 Kudos
AvdVyver01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you ever mange to get this issue resolved? I am facing the exact same problem after upgrading my vCenter appliance from v6.5.0 to 6.5.0 U1.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know!

Thanks

0 Kudos
brandtjohnd
Contributor
Contributor

Is the Performance Monitoring service started?  May be worth double checking.

0 Kudos
AvdVyver01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi brandtjohnd,

Thanks for the reply. Attached the services running on my vCenter appliance. I am not familiar with a specific Performance Monitoring service. I need to point out that other statistical data (from VMs, datastores etc.) is recorded and displays correctly in https://servername/vsphere-client/ - it is the performance data within the appliance management https://servername:5480/ that is missing.

vawan
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

Have you solved this problem?

0 Kudos
benutcourts
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue too, I resolved it by logging out and closing that window, clearing the browser cache, and logging back in.

0 Kudos
vawan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply.

This did not solve the problem ((.

I also tried to login from another computer, performance data within the appliance management is missing.

0 Kudos
MrJones20
Contributor
Contributor

This worked to start the VCSA graphs:

re: VCSA v. 6.5.0.13000 Build Number 7312210 December 19, 2017

vSphere Web Client

> Home (icons page)

> System Configuration

> Services Health

> next to 'Not Applicable' click on 'x Services' link

> click on VMware Appliance Monitoring Service (vcsa.ip) link

Start the service with The Green Triangle; took ~2 minutes to complete

Open vcsa.ip:5480 and confirm graphing has started.

vawan
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent. This working fine for me. Thank You.

0 Kudos
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you fix it?

I'm in the same boat now..

One of our vCenter Server Appliances (vCSA 6.5U1f with embedded PSC) “has lost” all of its status. All health status are shown as ‘Unknown’ and checking the different CPU/Memory/Network/Database pages shows no data anymore (“no data to display”). No network configuration is shown, and clicking on configure networking interface is not possible since the interface it not listed (!); but it’s there since we can SSH in, and vCenter seems to work fine, so it seems to be a AMUI/appliance service(s) problem.

Also, trying to trigger a manual native backup doesn’t work. We’re met with a popup in the bottom right corner saying “Unable to start backup due to an unknown problem”.

This is on the latest 6.5.0U1f (and before on 6.5.0U1c)

Update: I fixed it. I had created an empty /etc/vmware/appliance/firewall.conf file earlier since the logs were complaining about missing file, and I wanted to see if that helped. Well, deleting that file (was 0 bytes) and starting applmgmt service (service-control --start applmgmt) was all it took.

Update 2: And while I fixed my problem, I suddenly got the problem on another vCenter, this time one that is in vCenter HA mode. And there is no (user created) firewall.conf to delete this time. Smiley Sad So my problem is kinda still here, on another vCenter (and applmgmt service is running there).

Update 3: Clearing the browser cache seems to make the status go green/good again.

0 Kudos
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seems there are no solution so far on this case.. I was gonna edit my post, but action>edit didn't work today, so I post add a new post...

My two production environments still have this problem (or should I say "problem" since it's not affecting the vCenter Service). We have a support case going with HPE & VMware (VMware OEM via HPE... not my preferred support but that's the way it is..)

My findings:

• Both environments show ‘Unknown Health’ in AMUI for Overall Health. All other checks show ‘Good’.
    • The Health Message displays: “Unable to get information on available updates.
  • Both environments run vCenter Appliances with native vCenter HA
  • Both environments are running latest vCenter 6.5 Update 1g (6.5.0.15000 build8024368)
  • Both environments have been configured to automatically check for updates every day
    • This is a configuration that doesn’t seem to be synchronized with vCenter HA. We saw different settings if we failover to the passive node.
  • Both environments can run a manual update check fine. At the moment there are no updates available, so it reports “Latest updates already installed on vCSA, nothing to stage/install” after a check is manually run (Update > Check Updates > Check Repository)
  • The ‘Last Health Check’ have not changed for a while, one is April 4th and one is April 6th . It doesn’t change if we run a manual update chech.
    • This leads me to ask if the automatically check actually run.
    • Also, the time stamp when it changes (earlier) shows one hour ahead of real time. This is an odd bug, as when there are discrepancies in time it’s normally showing UTC time (we are in UTC+2). Time seems to be shown as UTC+3
  • If we disable automatic check of updates, the Overall Health will stay Good/green after a node failover (kinda like a reboot/first check, which would not do a update check = "all good").
    • In my book, this indicates the problem is with the automatic check feature. When it’s enabled the health message is, as mentioned earlier “Unable to get information on available updates” so it seems no update check ran successfully; but it works fine if run manually. And the date of the lasat check isn’t changing, also indicating a bug in the automatic update check feature.
0 Kudos
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ugh! Disregard my last post, as I posted to the wrong thread.. (and action > edit doesn't work for me now to delete the post).

(correct thread)

0 Kudos
TJGarvin
Contributor
Contributor

Very nice.  Now I'm not losing sleep wondering if the disks are filling up again.  🙂   Now the techie in me wants to know why it stopped, or was stopped, in the first place.

0 Kudos