VMware Cloud Community
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 6.5 - Installing Nexus 1000v extension XML File without the vSphere Desktop Client

I've started playing with the latest VCSA 6.5 - with mixed success.  Initially I did an upgrade from VCSA-6.0 to 6.5 but this soon ended with tears and a very broken VCSA that probably cannot be fixed.

So I've now done a clean install of VCSA 6.5 and am in the process of re-setting it all up.  The issue I am experiencing at the moment is around the installation of the Cisco Nexus 1000v - which I had working with great success under VCSA 6.0 and ESXi-6.0 .

As part of the installation of the N1kv there is a requirement to install an extension, which has a certificate embedded in it.  I believe this is used to allow the N1kv to communicate with the VCSA,  The easiest way to install this was via the plugins menu in the vSphere desktop client.  However with the vSphere "fat" client no longer functional under VCSA 6.5, this doesn't leave any options that I can see, as to how to install this file.

Notwithstanding that the N1kv is not yet officially supported with VCSA 6.5 I would like to at least get a little further through the installation than I am now as the problems I am seeing appear to be VCSA limitations (not n1k bugs).

This is what the xml file looks like that is generated by the n1kv to install on VCSA:

<extensionData>

<obj xmlns="urn:vim25" versionId="uber" xsi:type="Extension" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<description>

<label></label>

<summary></summary>

</description>

<key>Cisco_Nexus_1000V_938331362</key>

<version>1.0.0</version>

<subjectName>/C=US/ST=CA/O=Cisco/OU=NexusCertificate/CN=Cisco_Nexus_1000V_938331362</subjectName>

<server>

<url></url>

<description>

<label></label>

<summary></summary>

</description>

<company>Cisco Systems Inc.</company>

<type>DVS</type>

<adminEmail></adminEmail>

</server>

<client>

<url></url>

<description>

<label></label>

<summary></summary>

</description>

<company>Cisco Systems, Inc.</company>

<type>DVS</type>

<version>1.0.0</version>

</client>

<lastHeartbeatTime>1970-01-01T00:00:00Z</lastHeartbeatTime>

</obj>

<certificate>

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

MIICSjCCAbOgAwIBAgIBATANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQQFADBrMQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzEL

<snipped>

juHbgz/6rIz3q2Fcr4s=

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

</certificate>

</extensionData>

I have attempted to use https://vcenter/?moid=ExtensionManager&method=registerExtension however that fails, with an error too:

faultCauseMethodFaultUnset
faultMessageLocalizableMessage[]Unset
reasonstring"Invalid argument : vim.Description.description"

So my question is, what is the now-supported way to add this extension to the system?  Is there a CLI method, or can it be done via scp, or PowerCLI ?

2 Replies
technolink
Contributor
Contributor

you may take a look at

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13166446/nexus-1000v-vsphere-65-vcsa-and-esxi-65

we did manage to get it installed in clean install esxi 6.5 but still not in vcsa 6.5. Hopefully cisco will soon release  a compliant version of their nexus 1000v.

The distributed switch is also an option.

nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cisco Nexus is no longer supported in vSphere 6.5

VMware Cisco Nexus 1000V - End of Availability - VMware Products

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos