VMware Cloud Community
gphalpin12
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.5 DNS Not Resolving

I recently deployed the latest version of VCSA 6.5. Its DNS is not functioning properly. It won't resolve against the DNS servers that are configured in the UI. I can ping hosts by IP but not by host name. I can add a host to vCenter by IP but not name.

Our DNS servers are functioning properly. I can resolve against them on all other systems. The VCSA is on the same subnet as the 1st DNS server and there is no firewall in between them.

In the VCSA UI, I tried changing the order of the DNS servers, removed and re-added them one at a time but nothing has worked.   

When I SSH to the VCSA and cat /etc/resolv.conf, it shows this order:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

nameserver 10.10.10.100

nameserver 10.10.11.100

When I run nslookup, it appears to run queries against 127.0.0.1 each time. It does attempt to resolve against the actual DNS servers on our network as I don't see requests from the VCSA.

I opened a support request with VMware. The tech confirmed that 127.0.0.1 should be listed first in resolv.conf. The tech advised me to manually add hosts and IPs to the /etc/hosts file. As a test I did that and it works. It's a small network but I don't want to resort to using the host file for DNS. That will cause issues down the road.

I haven't been able to find anything on this particular issue. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who ran into this issue and was able to resolve it. 

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Did you tried to manually create record in DNS for the VCSA? Also, did you checked the DNS settings in  VCSA?

0 Kudos
KenStacey
Contributor
Contributor

I've hit the same issue in 6.7

Using a hostname doesn't resolve, but FQDN does.

You might be able to manually add in a domain or search list to resolv.conf, I've not tried it.

https://www.shellhacks.com/setup-dns-resolution-resolvconf-example/

I used the server's IP address as a temporary workaround.

0 Kudos