VMware Cloud Community
AndSky
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.0u2a to 6.5 Stuck on Postgres

Error: Encountered an internal error. see /var/log/firstboot/vpostgres-firstboot.py_8761_stderr.log

Resolution: This is an unrecoverable error, please retry install. If you run into this error again, please collect a support bundle and open a support request.

Environment is Lab so I don't care much, but as I will do the Upgrade on 5.5 and 6.0 currently in production (*soonish)... I would really like to know what to do if this happens on the real stuff...
Deployment is PSC and VCS on separate VMs and vCenter Server is set to "tiny". PSC Upgrade went fine. VCS starts fine, gets all the data from the VUM (windows) server migration assistant but when it reaches the Postgress setup... this happens. Tried it 3 times, once with 6.0u2, once after upgrading to 6.0u2a and once after changing the password for SSO and root to something with a different special character, as I found on a KB that a special character may be the issue... however as per SSO rules one can not remove all special characters so I tried with a neutral "-" instead of what I had before...

Logs are attached.

Any ideas?
Andreas
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

can you upload the vc-support bundle?

0 Kudos
Dirk_Sander
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

We got just the same problem (but starting from vCSA 5.5). We tried 4 times to upgrade from vCenter Server Appliance 5.5u3 to 6.5.

Before the last try we changed pwds to pwds without special characters due to a KB. Since we try to upgrade from 5.5 I will create a new topic.

in short:

the error message:

Encountered an internal error. see /var/log/firstboot/vpostgres-firstboot.py_7406_stderr.log

the info given within the log (not really much more precise):

2017-01-15T13:07:51.905Z   Upgrade import step failed

2017-01-15T13:07:51.905Z   vPostgres firstboot(action=firstboot) failed

I will create a new topic.

Thanks,

Dirk

0 Kudos