VMware Cloud Community
slefevre2
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.0U2f upgrade to VCSA 6.7 pre-upgrade check failed with "VMware Tools driver is not initialized"

I'm trying to upgrade a VCSA 6.0U2f upgrade to VCSA 6.7 and get pre-upgrade check failed with the error title "VMware Tools driver is not initialized".  The rest of the error message states "Make sure that VMware Tools driver is initialized and is running properly on the source vCenter Server Appliance (vcsa01.example.local). Also make sure that the ESXi host which contains the source vCenter Server Appliance is not under heavy load. Contact VMware support in case the issue cannot be resolved."

I've checked several services on the vcsa and all appear to running w/out issue.

# service vmware-tools-services status

vmtoolsd is running

I've looked at the logs and the error.log file only states:

No file found matching /etc/vmware/install-defaults/cm.url

No file found matching /etc/vmware-vpx/vcdb.properties

No file found matching /etc/vmware-vpx/vc-extn-cisreg.prop

I've checked and all these files actually exist.

The vcsa has been rebooted several times but no change in behavior.  All my searching hasn't turned us a single hit on this error message.  Anyone have any ideas, suggests, etc?

Thx!

Scott
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

What errors do you see in the upgrade-requirements.log? Check 10-15 lines above the entry 'Fatal error during upgrade requirements'. Also, on the host where the vCSA VM is running, run the command <vim-cmd vmsvc/get.guest X | grep -i guest> against the vCSA VM and share the output. Where 'X' is the vCSA VM vmid which, can be obtained using the command <vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms>.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
slefevre2
Contributor
Contributor

The upgrade-requirements.log file had several "Fatal" errors since I've tried this upgrade several times.  The last one w/ errors is listed below.

2018-10-03T00:25:03.901Z INFO upgrade_commands Creating OpsManager (Ssh based).

2018-10-03T00:25:03.901Z INFO networking_utils isHostReachable(): try getaddrinfo('vhost2.example.local', '443', 0, SocketKind.SOCK_STREAM, 6)...

2018-10-03T00:25:03.903Z INFO networking_utils isHostReachable(): getaddrinfo() found 1 entries (first is used):

FAMILY: AddressFamily.AF_INET, TYPE=SocketKind.SOCK_STREAM, PROTO=6, CANONNAME=, ADDR=('10.1.1.15', 443)

2018-10-03T00:25:03.904Z INFO networking_utils isHostReachable() succeeded: address //vhost2.example.local:443 is reachable

2018-10-03T00:25:04.87Z ERROR transport.guestops GuestOpsOperationManager is not initialized. Missing guest.guestFamily property

2018-10-03T00:25:04.98Z ERROR transport.guestops GuestOpsOperationManager is not initialized. Missing guest.guestFamily property

2018-10-03T00:25:04.98Z ERROR upgrade_commands Vmware Tools driver is not initialized on source vCSA (vcsa01.example.local), Error: GuestOpsOperationManager is not initialized. Missing guest.guestFamily property

2018-10-03T00:25:04.99Z ERROR root Could not create command factory.

2018-10-03T00:25:04.99Z ERROR __main__ ERROR: Fatal error during upgrade REQUIREMENTS. For more details take a look at: /var/log/vmware/upgrade/requirements-upgrade-runner.log

2018-10-03T00:25:04.100Z INFO root Exiting with exit-code 1

Also here's the output of the command you asked for.  Looking at the error above and the output below, it's finally making sense why this is failing.  I presume the guestId, guestFamily, and guestFullName are set by vmtoolsd running on the vm.  I looked at the VM config but couldn't find anywhere they could be set.

# vim-cmd vmsvc/get.guest 69 | grep -i guest

Guest information:

(vim.vm.GuestInfo) {

toolsVersionStatus = "guestToolsUnmanaged",

toolsVersionStatus2 = "guestToolsUnmanaged",

toolsRunningStatus = "guestToolsRunning",

toolsUpdateStatus = (vim.vm.GuestInfo.ToolsUpdateStatus) null,

guestId = <unset>,

guestFamily = <unset>,

guestFullName = "",

net = (vim.vm.GuestInfo.NicInfo) [

(vim.vm.GuestInfo.NicInfo) {

ipStack = (vim.vm.GuestInfo.StackInfo) [

(vim.vm.GuestInfo.StackInfo) {

disk = (vim.vm.GuestInfo.DiskInfo) [

(vim.vm.GuestInfo.DiskInfo) {

screen = (vim.vm.GuestInfo.ScreenInfo) {

guestState = "running",

guestKernelCrashed = <unset>,

guestOperationsReady = true,

interactiveGuestOperationsReady = false,

guestStateChangeSupported = true,

To try something different, I moved the vcsa VM to a different vhost but got the same results from the vim-cmd vmsvc/get.guest command.

Thoughts?

Scott
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This might be an incompatible upgrade path. Also, there has never been a 6.0 U2f, but there is a U3f (build 8874690). Could this be your source version? To what version of vCSA 6.7 are you attempting to upgrade? Please be specific as to the build number.

0 Kudos
slefevre2
Contributor
Contributor

To answer your question, I'm using this ISO to attempt the upgrade: VMware-VCSA-all-6.7.0-9451876.iso

I think there may be some confusion - I'm getting this error from the source vcsa running 6.0U2F during the pre-check.

Also, I've checked the upgrade path and found that vcsa 6.0.U2G/H currently won't upgrade to 6.7 due to a postgres version issue.  See this VMware Knowledge Base article if curious.

Scott
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the exact build of your source vCSA, please?

0 Kudos
slefevre2
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded, staged, and installed from VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.0.0.30600-8874691-patch-FP.iso and rebooted. The current version is reporting as 6.0.0.30400 Build: 7464101.  Very strange.

Scott
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, that's the patch for 6.0 U3f and not U2f, which probably means (I can't find definitive proof) that such an upgrade path is not directly supported at this time. I would reach out to GSS to get confirmation.

0 Kudos
slefevre2
Contributor
Contributor

After doing some checking, I do have a few typos.  The update I thought I installed was 6.0U3F and not 6.0U2F. 

Scott
0 Kudos