VMware Cloud Community
lyanthony
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.0 cannot boot after failed 6.5 upgrade attempt.

Hello All,

Yesterday, I attempted to upgrade my lab environment to vSphere 6.5 and was doing just fine until I attempted the upgrade of the vCenter VCSA appliance (from 6.0) I ran into an issue with the ESX Agent Manager running on the VCSA6.0 VM, a quick google search suggested that the EAM service on the 6.0 VM needed to started to get around the upgrade issue. I attempted to restart the service using the service-control command, but it didn't work.  I rebooted the 6.0 VM and ran into a new problem, the 6.0 vCenter failed to boot up. Consoling onto the VM showed the following errors:

vcsa6-boot-errors2.PNG

vcsa6-boot-errors1.PNG

Another google search suggested that the issue is that the journal on sda3 has gotten messed up and to attempt a repair. I couldn't find anything specific to the issue I'm seeing.

I've ran through booting into the kb article below to log onto the filesystem with bash and attempted to run a fix, but to no avail

"fsck failed" error when starting vCenter Server Appliance (2081464) | VMware KB

Any suggestions?

A.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lyanthony
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I Attempted to run a SUSE repair utility on the affected vCenter and it picked up corruption on the /dev/log-vg/log and /dev/sda3 partitions. When I tell it to repair the partitions it says it completed successfully, but to no avail. Rerunning the repair utility comes up with the same alerts.

vcsa6-SUSE-syscheck1.PNG

vcsa6-SUSE-syscheck2.PNG

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello lyanthony

Note : Please consider taking a snapshot the vcenter appliance and a good backup before trying these steps

Can you run fsck -y /dev/sda3 and  fsck -y /dev/log_vg/log

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos