VMware Cloud Community
ChrisKuhns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCSA 6.0 DC for SSO Crashed, Can't Access vCenter

Hello and thank you for your time.

In my work lab I have vCenter server appliance 6.0 with SSO set to my Active Directory Domain Controller. The Domain Controller crashed hard. I can't authenticate with anything to get in to vCenter. I do have VDP 6.0 with a full backup of the DC, but if I can't get to vCenter, I'm kind of SOL. I have looked everywhere to see if there is a command line method of stripping out the SSO but I still have no luck. Root, Administrator@vcenter.local doesn't work, none of the account created will access it.

Does anyone have an idea how I can remedy this dire situation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Ryan mentioned, administrator@vsphere.local should ideally work. (if you haven't changed the default domain name to something else while deployment, because it is possible to customize the name vsphere.local in 6.0) But note that you can restore from backup even with out access to vCenter through emergency restore feature of VDP

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RyanH84
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you login to the vCSA admin page (port 5480) using the root credentials as part of the initial sign up? From there can you get into the SSO administration area and check service/change settings to get you access?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
0 Kudos
ChrisKuhns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is that even available in 6.0? Because if it is, it isn't coming up. vSphere web client comes up, but no SSO Admin like 5.5.

0 Kudos
RyanH84
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good point,I think you are right, there were some major changes with 6.0 administration and less tasks being available via the VAMI.

You should still be able to get in using the administrator@vsphere.local credentials though. Have you considered trying to reset this account to get in? the vsphere.local is a seperate identity source to AD which should still stand?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
ChrisKuhns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response though. I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Ryan mentioned, administrator@vsphere.local should ideally work. (if you haven't changed the default domain name to something else while deployment, because it is possible to customize the name vsphere.local in 6.0) But note that you can restore from backup even with out access to vCenter through emergency restore feature of VDP

-Suresh
0 Kudos
ChrisKuhns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that was helpful. Got things situated now. Here's an odd thing. It's as if my SSO up and reset itself to factory defaults. True, my Domain Controller failed, but the default administrator@vsphere.local I had customized to vCenter.local. It was reset, my root account was reset, but none of the passwords were reset.

Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos