VMware Cloud Community
PaulFreedman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCHA Setup - vCenter HA has an invalid configuration. Remove vCenter HA to destroy the current cluster configuration and set up vCenter HA again.

I'm trying to setup VCHA in vCenter 6.7, after the deployment of the Passive and Witness nodes completes I get the error message "vCenter HA has an invalid configuration. Remove vCenter HA to destroy the current cluster configuration and set up vCenter HA again.

Is there anywhere I can find what the actual issue is and troubleshoot further?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulFreedman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Nope unfortunately the advanced failed the deployment also. I tried multiple times, deploying to same datastore/different datastores and noticed strange behaviour during the clone, I would lose access to the VC and then the HA setup would fail to clone any machines. Also tried udpating VC to the altest version but still no luck.

I dug through the vpxd.log and came across -

2019-06-11T15:45:57.078+01:00 info vpxd[04928] [Originator@6876 sub=Default opID=FlowBasedWizard-apply-6342-ngc:70000710-fb] [VpxLRO] -- ERROR task-84236 -- FailoverClusterConfigurator -- vim.vcha.FailoverClusterConfigurator.deploy: vmodl.fault.HostCommunication:

--> Result:

--> (vmodl.fault.HostCommunication) {

-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

-->    faultMessage = <unset>

-->    msg = "An error occurred while communicating with the remote host."

Finally managed to get it to work by disabling DRS and deploying Passive and Witness nodes to the same host that the VC was running on!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, what do the vCenter HA logs say?

0 Kudos
PaulFreedman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only logs I can find are in var/log/vmware/vcha/ and I cant see any obvious errors in there! Is there a specific log you are talking about?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Those are the logs. Attach (don't paste). What does vCenter say if you destroy the config and re-do it? We need more details on what you're seeing and experiencing. This is a very generic error message.

0 Kudos
Raj1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Attach all the logs from var/log/vmware/vcha/ . Also are you deploying all the clones to the same datastore or different .

Check vCenter HA Clone Operation Fails During Deployment

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check the vpxd.log at the time of VCHA configuration. Note down the time stamp and check vpxd and vcha log. Try configuring the VCHA is advanced mode this will manually clone the nodes.

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
PaulFreedman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, attached logs from latest attempt. I have tried this twice now using the Basic configuration and it has failed both times. The error message is the only thing disaplyed in the GUI after both VMs have been deployed. All 3 machines are on the same datastore.

I will try the advanced option to see if this helps.

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Below link will help you in step-by-step configuring VCHA in advanced mode.

Enabling vCenter HA - Advanced | vSphere 6.5 | VMware

VCIX, NCAP
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also share the vpxd.log to check the log as VCHA task manage by vpxd service.

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is advanced setup resolved your issue??

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
PaulFreedman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Nope unfortunately the advanced failed the deployment also. I tried multiple times, deploying to same datastore/different datastores and noticed strange behaviour during the clone, I would lose access to the VC and then the HA setup would fail to clone any machines. Also tried udpating VC to the altest version but still no luck.

I dug through the vpxd.log and came across -

2019-06-11T15:45:57.078+01:00 info vpxd[04928] [Originator@6876 sub=Default opID=FlowBasedWizard-apply-6342-ngc:70000710-fb] [VpxLRO] -- ERROR task-84236 -- FailoverClusterConfigurator -- vim.vcha.FailoverClusterConfigurator.deploy: vmodl.fault.HostCommunication:

--> Result:

--> (vmodl.fault.HostCommunication) {

-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

-->    faultMessage = <unset>

-->    msg = "An error occurred while communicating with the remote host."

Finally managed to get it to work by disabling DRS and deploying Passive and Witness nodes to the same host that the VC was running on!

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for the update. This will help others to resolve the issue.

cheers

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
Raj1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well DRS should be in manual while doing such tasks. This is a clone happening and if the VM moves ; such issues would occur.

0 Kudos