VMware Cloud Community
guyenvmware000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCENTER issues

I am seeing vcenter servers are getting harder and more complicated to use.

I implemented auto-deploy server years ago using 4.1 and 5.0 versions to do a host boot from AD server however starting from 5.5, vCenter requires more stringent password. Once vCenter installed, I can not install update manager and auto deploy because it asks for server ip and credentials however it wont accept the previously input password leaving me wondering what I am supposed to enter. Once vcenter 5.5 installed, unable to login using vmware client because of the permission issue.

Also during installation, i get multiple during simple install that since server did not join a domain, some features might work incorrectly. However I setup AD DS but now it refuses to install "this product can not be installed on a DC".

Why it is getting more and more complicated like this? Getting help for this issues is also hard because there are too many different pages and links which is hard to navigate.

With vcenter 5.0 also ran into issue, after deploying the esxi image, server did not boot saying no matching rules found and displays numerous parameters host posses and suggests users to add rule using new-deployrule or set-deployruleset.

So deleted active set rules "remove-deployrules -delete "name" and added new rules with matching criteria with -pattern switch but still hosts will not reboot from newly added rules with matching pattern. Repeated the process with several patterns in the error message it does not work at all. As if new rule has no effect.

Recurrent problem from earlier version that keeps getting carried to newer versions:

Too frequently,the VM window CDROM mount stuck in "connecting..." state rendering mounted ISO inaccessible unless HV reboots. This would disturb other running VM-s.

Too frequently VM windows blackout happens if user selects between BIOS and EFI boot mode or some other BIOS setup change. Only remedies is close VM and re-open.

These are day-to-day usage which negatively impacts user's ability to work efficiently.

Frequently, VM windows blackout with some error message: unable to connect VMRC. Only remedy is log on to host using esxi client installed from another workstation, or reboot the workstation experiencing the problem.

0 Kudos
0 Replies