Upgrading vCenter DB 4.1 to 5.1

Hi,

I want to upgrade our Infrastructure from 4.1 to 5.1

Host name of vCenter Server 4.1 is as05345

I have installed 3 new servers:

as10446 will get the following Services -> SSO + vCenter Server

as10447 will get the following Service -> Inventory Service

as10448 will get the following Service -> Web Client

So SSO Service and vCenter Server have both as10446 as Hostname.

We backuped our vcenter 4.1. SQL Database and restored it with a new DB name.

Then I installed sso. When installing vCenter Server, i do an upgrade of the db and NOT a new installation.

But when installation has finished with all components, vCenter is registered with the old Hostname as05345

and not with the new one as10446.

What's wrong?

regards

Andi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Check out http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893 for the procedure to move the vCenter Server database.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
vmstoani
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Brian,

I'm using a remote sql db. I read this article.

I thougt when selecting "upgrade existing database" the hostname of the old vcenter server will be replaced with the hostname of the new vcenter. But this doesn't happen.

regards Andi

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine and see if you have followed the same process

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
vmstoani
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I took this paper for our upgrade.

Step by Step how we have done this.

1. Stop vCenter 4.1 with hostname "vcenter4.domain.at"

2. Backup vCenter 4.1 SQL DB with the Database name "vmware_vc4"

3. Restore this Backup with another DB Name - "vmware_vc5"

3. Konfigure SSO DB with Database name "vmware_sso"

4. Install a new Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 with hostname "server1.domain.at",
configure ODBC so it points to DB "vmware_sso" and install SSO on this Server.

5. Install a new Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 with hostname "server2.domain.at" and install Inventory Service on this Server.

6. On the Server where SSO is installed, "server1.domain.at", another ODBC connection is configured for vCenter Server which points to DB "vmware_vc5" and the vCenter Server Software is installed. When the Database upgrade warning appears, I select "Upgrade existing vCenter Server database".

7. Install a new windows server 2008 R2 x64 with hostname "server3.domain.at" and install Web Client on it.

All components could be installed without any errors.

But when I loggin with Web Client, the hostname of the vcenter Server is the old one  - "vcenter4.domain.at" - on which vcenter Server 4.1 resides.
I have installed vcenter Server 5.1 on "server1.domain.at" with a clone of the old venter Server 4.1 DB.
We can not use the old vcenter hostname "vcenter4.domain.at" because vcenter server 4.1 will be deleted (it's a vm) and the dns entries will also be removed.

So, I don't know what's wrong on our installation process.

regards

andi

0 Kudos
vmstoani
Contributor
Contributor

This is not an issue. Old vCenter Hostname is set in vCenter Client and has to be changed.

Administration -> vCenter Server Settings -> Runtime Settings

pic.png

Thank's for all the answers.

nice we

andi

0 Kudos