VMware Cloud Community
scale21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading vCenter 5.5 U2e

I have an environment that is a bit behind on updates.

Right now my vcenter server is running 5.5u2e and the hosts are 5.5u3a

I need to get everything beyond 3a.

Can i go directly to 5.5u3f or do i need to go to 5.5u3b first ....and then to f?

I am having a very hard time finding any information on getting from one patch level to another. I know i want to do my vCenter server first (poodle/ssl v3) and then my hosts.  It appears the matrix only shows major releases of vmware....and not the updates themselves.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can find the upgrade link in the release notes.

VMware vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3f Release Notes

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Is upgrading past vSphere 5.5 an option for you right now? Just FYI, vSphere 5.5 is end of support (EOS) on September 19th of this year giving you a little over 8 months to get off of it. If you can put your efforts into upgrading rather than just patching, you'd probably be in a better position.

0 Kudos
scale21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes....upgrading to 6.0 is the goal or even 6.5 if all our stuff is compatible. Id like to get patched to at least 5.5u3 so i can get the hosts upgraded to combat spectre/meltdown.

Before going to  to 6.0 i need to get rid of our cisco 1000v which i am not quite ready to do yet. Once that is gone, will be wanting upgrade my vcenter and hosts to 6.0 and beyond.

0 Kudos
scale21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes i have read through this multiple times and doesnt mention if i can upgrade directly to this from update 3a. This is mostly the reason for my question.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to update your vCenter to the latest release available within the 5.5 version. And from there, you can patch your ESXi hosts. I have read nothing that mentions you cannot go directly to the latest 5.5 U3 patch revision from your current one. Patches are cumulative, so U3f incorporates changes from all prior patches.

0 Kudos