VMware Cloud Community
deesloop
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading to version 6 failing

I have a VCentre server virtual appliance, it's currently on build 5.5.0.30500 Build 4180648 and I want to upgrade to 6.0

I''ve downloaded VMWare-VCSA-all-6.0.0.511256-iso and unpacked.

I've opened the vcsa-setup.html

However I'm having issues trying to get it to run.

I want to do an in place upgrade and so I am selecting upgrade but no matter how often I try root credentials it doesn't autheniticate

If I go back and choose migrate It does authenticate and then asks where I want to store the new VM etc etc.

However i believe thats for migrating a Windows box to a new appliance rather than upgrade the existing appliance.

Dropbox - new.zip

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MrWiiilsooon
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same issue. I found that changing the password (longer and more complex)  on the host, seems to have resolved the error.

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vCSA upgrade (i.e major version) is always out  of place upgrade, which means a new Appliance is deployed and the data from existing/old appliance is migrated to the newly deployed appliance.

For any minor version updates the inplace update is applicable. Differences Between vSphere Upgrades and Updates  

please refer to the documentation for upgrading to to vCSA 6.0 from 5.x  : About the vCenter Server Appliance Upgrade Process

0 Kudos