VMware Cloud Community
Brian_Wing
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading distributed virtual switch from 4.1 to 5.1 operation mode

VM-Masses,

I'm just about done upgrading one of my clusters to 5.1.  I have a vDS that was created when the cluster was initially installed.  All of my VMs, including my VCenter run under the vDS.

My questions are:

What will break when I click that upgrade link?

Will my cluster experience any network downtime?

Should I build a new vDS and try to migrate?

My environment is 2 Cisco UCS Blade Chassis (13 Hosts)

Each blade has 2 adapters defined and uplinked (10G) in passive/failover to the dVS

Storage is all NFS (netapp)

Have any of you experienced an upgrade of your vDS's?

I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Upgrading vDS is just a 2 step process but beforing upgrading to vDS make sure that all your host are running ESXi 5.1 or later and then proceed to upgrade

Sheck Upgrade a vSphere Distributed Switch to a Newer Version with the vSphere Web Client

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
dlaemmle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My migration did not go so great. I went from 5.0 to 5.1.  Post migration deploying new machines failed to associate to the interfaces properly. I also had issues when starting up pre-installed vms asking if they were moved or copied, as if it was a brand new install.

I decided to build a new VDS from scratch with the same portgroup structure as my previous, and then migrating from the old VDS to the new one. That worked.

0 Kudos