VMware Cloud Community
ictadminrbassi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade vcenter to 5.1/5.5 or only up to 5.0 update 3??

vCenter v5.0.0 v755629

ESXi5 Hosts - v5.0.0 U3 1489271

Hi All

Thanks for reading my post.

I am currently working on a patching project to get all of our clusters up to a certain degree of updates and ensure all are at the same patching point.

We have 3 seperate clusters which are managed through 1 vcenter. In one of our clusters we have our newest hosts which are based on HP Proliant DL380p G8 but the rest of the cluster uses hardware HP Proliant DL380 G5 with a mixture of slightly different processor types, they are managed using EVC to allow us to migrate from one host to the other.

We have made a business decison that for the moment we are going to keep all of our hosts on v5.0.0 U3 build1489271 even though our newer hosts on one cluster could utilise v5.5 of vsphere mainly from a business continuity point of view as the machines in our DR site are also hosted on older kit which wouldnt accept v5.5.

Now all patching of the hosts is now complete, the next phase of my project is to look at getting our vCenter server upgrade from its current build of v5.0.0 755629.

I am in a dilemma, do I update our vCenter up to 5.0.0 Update 3 or do I potentially look at updating our vcenter to 5.1 or even up to 5.5 even though I wont be updating our hosts. by using a later version as and when we update the hardware of our hosts we could then benefit with utilising the new feature sets of 5.1 or 5.5. I am aware that going from 5.0 to 5.1/5.5 will be a bigger project than just moving from 5.0.0 to 5.0.0 U3.

Just wanted to get others views on this. I am under the understanding that even if the vcenter is on a higher level it still should mean that I can manage hosts on the lower 5.0.0. Are there also fundamental differences with regards to the Database? My understanding is 5.5 also aiming users to the vsphere web client...

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Since the view is not upgrade the hosts to ESXi 5.5 I would just bring your vCenter up to 5.0 U3 to keep a consistent release all components.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful