VMware Cloud Community
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade vCenter and ESXi 6.5 to 7.0 - Licensing

Hello,

I am about to upgrade a vCenter 6.5 and ESXi 6.5 U2 to version 7.0 U3. I understand that it is possible to upgrade directly to version 7.0 U3.

My question is about licensing, because the client has licensing. At the end of the upgrade both vCenter and ESXi, new version 7 licenses must be placed? I mean if the client buys a new license.

Because I understand that when upgrading from a version 6.xx to another version 6.xx the same license can be used.

But for this case, as it is version 7, I have my doubts.

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Hi,

When you upgrade ESXi 6.5 or ESXi 6.7 hosts to ESXi 7.0 hosts, the hosts are in a 60-day evaluation mode period until you apply for the correct vSphere 7 licenses.

After you can upgrade the license from My VMware portal to 7.x version if your subscription is enabled or buy a new license 

Licensing ESXi Hosts After Upgrade (vmware.com)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

Quickdraw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did this same upgrade yesterday. Yes you need to re-license both vcenter and the hosts with a 7 license. You can upgrade your 6 license via myvmware if you're allowed or you will need  new 7 licenses. After the upgrade everything is applied with a temp eval licence until you apply your real one.